Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
Hello again to all!

Yesterday was a great Craigslist day and I picked up the following:

1. PowerMac G5 Quad!!! (250GB HDD, 8GB RAM, 6600) with 20" cinema display

2. iMac G5 1.8 (2GB RAM, 250GB HDD BT, AP)

3. iBook clamshell and Apple Pro speakers.

So yesterday was a fantastic day and now my PPC days have begun again.

The only issues so far are: the PMG5 has a broken superdrive tray and I need to replace it, the iMac GPU is done (but the parts are salvageable), and the PMG5 doesn't have BT or Airport.

I have since taken the HDD out of the iMac and verified it and installed it in the PMG5 and now waiting to clone a Leopard install from an iBook onto it and then set it up with home plugs to start testing this fully.

But I am excited to have the Quad again!

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
That's quite a nice haul, and all machines I look to get someday (although I might just be able to fix my Clamshell once I find a replacement DC-in board). What are the specs on your Clamshell?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Hello again to all!

Yesterday was a great Craigslist day and I picked up the following:

1. PowerMac G5 Quad!!! (250GB HDD, 8GB RAM, 6600) with 20" cinema display

2. iMac G5 1.8 (2GB RAM, 250GB HDD BT, AP)

3. iBook clamshell and Apple Pro speakers.

So yesterday was a fantastic day and now my PPC days have begun again.

The only issues so far are: the PMG5 has a broken superdrive tray and I need to replace it, the iMac GPU is done (but the parts are salvageable), and the PMG5 doesn't have BT or Airport.

I have since taken the HDD out of the iMac and verified it and installed it in the PMG5 and now waiting to clone a Leopard install from an iBook onto it and then set it up with home plugs to start testing this fully.

But I am excited to have the Quad again!
That. Is. Awesome!

Knowing what has gone before, the fact that you have a Quad is just fantastic. You need help or any parts or stuff like that you have my number.

Great haul Red! :D

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
That's quite a nice haul, and all machines I look to get someday (although I might just be able to fix my Clamshell once I find a replacement DC-in board). What are the specs on your Clamshell?

It's a 2,1 and the very basic as well and the DC-in board seems to be fine. I got it mostly because of the pro speakers that I wanted again and hope to find a way to convert those to work with a generic 3.5 mm RCA. We'll see!

That. Is. Awesome!

Knowing what has gone before, the fact that you have a Quad is just fantastic. You need help or any parts or stuff like that you have my number.

Great haul Red! :D

Yes it is and even though the person that sold it to me is a scammer and not the original owner (they claimed that their wife was watching Netflix on it), it seems to be a solid machine that was barely used. All the ports checked out (even though I didn't check the superdrive like an idiot).

All I really need is more RAM for the Quad and a replacement superdrive. If you happen to have a Zip drive or a floppy drive then that would be awesome and I'll even ship you stuff to trade!

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
You mean an external ZIP drive or an internal one? I have the internal one from the QS but my external is seriously flakey.

I've got a USB floppy drive though. Don't know if that's what you need or not?

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
You mean an external ZIP drive or an internal one? I have the internal one from the QS but my external is seriously flakey.

I've got a USB floppy drive though. Don't know if that's what you need or not?

I mean an external ZIP drive bc I want something that makes the familiar "click, hmmm" sound. I just love ZIP drives and their capacities (although nothing compared to what's available today) are still pretty amazing as far as media goes.

I DO mean a USB FLOPPY DRIVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

----------

I am now installing OS X 10.1 onto my iBook clamshell!!! woohoo!

This thing still boots up pretty quickly, it's good looking and I genuinely love the design. I'm not sure why exactly, but I like it a LOT!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
Wow, thats a decent find. I need to browse my local list of craigs to see if anything pops up. I really want to find a cheap clamshell iBook, I've never had the pleasure of seeing one.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011

That's awesome! I would just want to find a more aluminum amp to make it look prettier. I also have the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II (that I got at good will for 24.99). They looked neglected (there was a toy car stuck in the sub and the power adapter was missing) so I tok a chance. Now I'm just trying to find the least expensive power supply for them and that should be it.

How much did you buy the quad G5 and Cinema Display for?

I bought it for $230 but in retrospect with the broken superdrive tray (which I wish I would have checked) I probably could have gone down to less than $200.

Wow, thats a decent find. I need to browse my local list of craigs to see if anything pops up. I really want to find a cheap clamshell iBook, I've never had the pleasure of seeing one.

It's a great laptop from what I've seen and I got it with OS 8.6 and now it's running 10.2. Pretty amazing for a 1999 machine!

128keaton

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2013
That's awesome! I would just want to find a more aluminum amp to make it look prettier. I also have the Harman Kardon Soundsticks II (that I got at good will for 24.99). They looked neglected (there was a toy car stuck in the sub and the power adapter was missing) so I tok a chance. Now I'm just trying to find the least expensive power supply for them and that should be it.

I bought it for $230 but in retrospect with the broken superdrive tray (which I wish I would have checked) I probably could have gone down to less than $200.

It's a great laptop from what I've seen and I got it with OS 8.6 and now it's running 10.2. Pretty amazing for a 1999 machine!
I personally love the charm of OS 9, but OS X is a bit easier when it comes to troubleshooting, getting applications, etc.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
The Quad is now running and is what I am using to post this reply!

It's as great as I remember it and the charm of this machine has not worn off at all.

The superdrive is still broken so I cloned my iBook G4 install and now have a beautiful PowerPC machine again. Yes, they are all very attractive, but this is by far my favorite.

Im even rediscovering how much I prefer iTunes 10 to the current version and I think that I will make this my new machine. All I need now is 16G RAM, 2 x 1TB HDDs and a bigger (and not slightly broken display).

But all in all, I am very happy with this machine and it is performing wonderfully.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
You lucky SOB! I'd do terrible things to get my hands on a quad! Enjoy that beauty!

Hi Tevion. Yeah and there are also a couple more in my area. There's even a 1st gen Mac Pro for sale for about $150.

People here don't value older technology and the guy that I bought the Quad off of was definitely not the original owner.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Original poster
Aug 13, 2011
A quick clamshell update

I have found that older tech is still really fun and am enjoying actually using the iBook clamshell that I now have. I am also posting this from the iBook as well! I just transplanted the airport card from one of my iBooks and I am connected WITHOUT WIRES!!!!! Yes, it's awesome.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.