Back Up Advice

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by cthomet, Aug 11, 2008.

1. cthomet macrumors regular

Recently gave up the waiting game and purchased a macbook. should arrive tomorrow. now its time to purchase all the extras. i have been looking at a 500GB LaCie Drive (7200 RPM) with USB, eSATA, and Firewire 400 connectivity for $130.

Today, however I went in to Office Depot and a sales associate said I should go for 750 GB...I was skeptical...thoughts? (my Macbook HD will be 250GB). Also there was an unlimited online backup option for $80. I'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with or can shed any light on online back up? which of the two options would be best?

Thanks.

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Did the Office Depot sales clerk ask you what you would be using your system for? Or how big your files are? If not, they're just trying to make a bigger sale. Your need for storage will be driven by how much you need to store.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Get as big of a drive as you can afford.
    As for online backup, do ISPs put limits on your bandwidth per month where you live?

4. cthomet thread starter macrumors regular

I dont think they limit it here (I live in Eugene, actually grew up in portland :D) but next year i am going down to santa clara in california and im not sure if they limit it down there since i will be on the university internet im assuming not...but i know what happens when one assumes