Back-up and restore method to a new Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by MartyCan, May 1, 2015.

1. MartyCan macrumors 65816

MartyCan

With so many ordering extra watches so you can get one fast as you wait for the one you really want I thought this would have been addressed by now. But a search turned up nothing.

I don't see any obvious settings in the Phone App to create a back-up of your watch data. I got a 38mm fast but a 42 is on the way and I would just like to unpair the first one, pair the new one and restore all my settings.

Anyone know if this "just works" or is there a process to do it or do you just start from scratch?

No guesses please. Hoping someone has a real experience they can relate.

2. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

It appears it just backs up on it's own. I had to wipe mine and re-pair it when I swapped out my aging 5c for a 6 today.

3. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Do you wipe the Watch from the phone app before unpairing and then pair a new one?

Changing phones is a bit different because we know that the Phone can be backed-up and restored on another unit.

4. kupkakez macrumors 68000

kupkakez

I reset the watch from the watch itself.

This evening my watch "disconnected" from my 6 and I did not know how to reconnect it. I unpaired it thinking I could just repair but that didn't work. I then wiped the watch AGAIN to reset it up ( I have since learned you can resync without doing this). When I reset the watch back up it had an option to setup as new or restore a backup that was from about the same time I initiated the wipe.

5. MartyCan thread starter macrumors 65816

MartyCan

Looks like it works! Thanks! Watch 2 is now restoring from the back-up of Watch 1.

6. xthine macrumors regular

xthine

Back-up and restore method to a new Watch?

I played around with this all morning and I've found that if the watch is unpaired properly there is no need to do a reset each time you want to re-pair the watch.
    I was about to sell my Sport because there was no way I was going to do a reset each time I want to swap out watches.
    If unpaired properly your settings will remain intact including all apps and the layout. Default card for Apple Pay has to be set up though with each re pairing but this is easy to do. At least this has been my experience.