Back up and restore questions.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by barnetda, Jul 2, 2009.

1. barnetda macrumors regular

My MBP is having some operating system issues and reluctantly i think the time has come to reinstall .

I have backed everything up via time machine.

My questions are:

1. Whats the best way to reinstall? is it a clean reinstall so that the machine is effectively like new.

2. I would then need to reinstall all my software. I run XP under parallels and i assume i would need to contact them to allow me to reactivate the software?

3. Is there a better way to restore my data so i dont need to reinstall my software?

4. Some of the software i have (all genuine) were downloaded from the vendors web site. I might not have all of the verification codes. Will they give me a duplicate one?

Please be gentle with me as i am nt as techie as i would like to be!!

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

What issues are you havimg? A clean install is kind of overkill. Just do an archive and install. All of your apps will be safe.

3. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

A few programmes wont close even after a force quit. They just sit there and appear closed but arent.

Also weirdly my user isnt listed under users on my home hd. Its down the side under places. So when i back up its difficult to locate files.

Seems to take a lot longer to fully boot up. Just hangs at the final hurdle before loading fully.

Would a archive and install potentially solve these problems?

4. MacManiac76 macrumors 65816

MacManiac76

An Archive & Install could potentially fix these problems. If you haven't already I would try it and see if it helps. You have nothing to lose really and it is the most simple solution to try first.

5. barnetda thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks very much. Will do.