Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
PA
Here's the situation. I've borrowed my girlfriend's macbook for the weekend, and I have a hankering to see how well vista will run on here before I make the decision to buy myself a macbook, or a macbook pro. Anyway... I may die if it is returned to her in any way other it left.

I would like to make a backup of this computer on to a USB external hard drive before said experiment, then restore the macbook as if no foreign OS ever touched it.

Can I do it, n' how?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Drag all the bits you want back to their respective places. There's an app named Migration Assistant in the Utilities folder although I'm not sure how well it works with USB drives. :)

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
PA
too bad I can't just try it on mine first... I thought migration assistant was only for computer to computer stuff though

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
I don't have a USB drive to try this on, but hopefully it'll work if you check the attached option. :)

If it doesn't work then I'm not sure how you'll transfer the apps and settings. Most of them can be dragged-and-dropped but that's not the case for all of them.

It might be more work than it's worth considering you have to reformat the drive and reinstall everything because of the Windows partition, unless you can keep it on there. :)

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    69.6 KB · Views: 56

Elbeano

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 21, 2004
PA
I would prefer everything came out as if nothing had happened... I found that option too after you suggested it, I may have to try that out somehow first...

thanks much

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Yeah, the problem is that you'll be creating a new partition with Boot Camp, which will then have to be removed. You can't do this without reformatting (lose everything) and reinstalling the OS. Maybe ask to borrow her OSX restore discs and all her app's install discs too. :)

treblah

macrumors 65816
Oct 28, 2003
mad jew said:
Yeah, the problem is that you'll be creating a new partition with Boot Camp, which will then have to be removed. You can't do this without reformatting (lose everything) and reinstalling the OS. Maybe ask to borrow her OSX restore discs and all her app's install discs too. :)

That is wrong. You can delete the Windows partition in OS X using the 'Boot Camp Assistant' program and completely restore your original Mac partition.

Attachments

• Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 52
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.