Back-up application and Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhySoSerious, Nov 27, 2007.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Due to the MBP Seagate issues, I was looking for some advice on a quality brand external hard drive and a quality back-up applicaiton to transfer data.

Thanks

2. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

My advice is to use Leopard if you are not already. Time Machine is so good, it is actually the best part of the new OS IMO. You don't need backup software if you use leopard... I like the small WD passport external drives, they are USB 2.0 and don't require a power adapter, they get their power over the USB cable. It uses a 2.5" (laptop) HD and is only 5400 RPM but for storage and backup it is perfect (for me).

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136139

3. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

time machine is the most worthless part of OSX (for me anyway) it dosent work right, (again for me anyways) It already filled up my entire 250gb drive i got for it and tells me it wants another 150 gb, how that happened from my little 250gb laptop harddrive im not sure...another program you can try is called superduper

and if anyone can solve my issue with time machine im all for it

4. CashGap macrumors 6502

CashGap

You're using Parallels or VMWare Fusion on the laptop I assume?

Time Machine works as advertised, actually, better than advertised, and is the first realistic solution for a huge chunk of the market.

Tell us what's using the most space on your time machine drive and I'll bet we can figure it out. I'm betting you don't have virtual machine drives excluded, so every 1k file changed in a Windows VM leads to a 10GB backup.

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

well, i have parallels installed, how would you go about excluding the VM files?

i didnt realize that would casue that big of a problem

6. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Go to System Preferences > Time Machine and click Options. Then, click the '+' button to add excluded files and directories. Find your VM directory and exclude it.

7. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

Uh....this post was not intended for Time Maching debates. Please stay on topic. These posts are not helping here... :eek:

8. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Carbon Copy Cloner works flawlessly as a backup tool. It has all the functionalities of Time Machine and just works.

9. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Wow are you the thread nazi or what? Last time I post to you. I mean, we answered your question and helped (hopefully) a user with time machine issues. You need to get l***.

10. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

no dumb***, you didn't help. did it ever occur to you that i may not be a leopard user...which i'm not. you also didn't add any constructive opinions to what quality harddrives are out there.

so, to say that is the "last time" you post to me.....good, because you offered NO help...only whining.

11. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Hey Box33 -

Sorry that the Time Machine idea didn't work for you. I like SuperDuper because it makes a bootable clone of your HD. I also suggest a firewire external about twice the size of your internal drive. Any reputable brand on sale will do. You''l want to format it for Mac OS (journaled) and make sure it's partitioned mapped Guid. You may think about 2 partitions so you have one for the clone and one for other stuff (music, movies, photos,etc).

You might also want to create a signature that maps your specs similar to mine so as to end confusion over your MB/OS config.