Back-up applications and Hard Drive

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by WhySoSerious, Dec 13, 2007.

1. WhySoSerious macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

I need some guidance from you seasoned vets.

I just got a MBP and want to purchase an external HD to back up EVERYTHING.

How do I do this?

Yeah, I know it's a broad question, but some things I need advice on are:

- what size of external should i get and what brand? (MBP is 250GB)
    - what program should i install on the MBP to do the back-up?
    - to do back-ups...do i just connect the external to the MBP and click "back-up"?

Thanks for helping a noob....and any other info you want to offer up to assist is GREEEEEAAAATLY apprecaited!

Merry Xmas! :D

2. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

Get a FireWire 800 external hard drive and use Time Machine for automatic backup. I'd suggest 500GB or higher for capacity and 7,200RPM.

3. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

what app would you suggest i use if i don't have Leopard?

4. skyrider007 macrumors 65816

skyrider007

If your hard drive is from LaCie or Western Digital, it should come bundled with a back-up app.

5. jsgreen macrumors 6502

I just went through a process of figuring out a backup plan for myself...

I bought a 750Gb external HDD from OWC, Firewire 800, 400, USB and eSATA interfaces (although I'll just use the FW800). It was about $300.

I partitioned it into several partions..my backups will be Time Machine (to one partition) and SuperDuper (to another partition).

I decided to use TM + SD because you can't boot to a TM backup, just restore. That's fine for "whoops I deleted that by accident" issues, but not if your HD actually fails. SuperDuper creates a bootable clone of your drive (so you can really only go back in time to the last backup), but if you pay $28 to register you can schedule these, and run incremental backups (only backs up what has changed...so shorter run times).

note - SuperDuper isn't fully released for Leopard yet, but the (well respected) developer is working on it.

6. WhySoSerious thread starter macrumors 65816

WhySoSerious

from the sounds of it, superduper will work wonders for me since i don't have Leopard yet. with superduper, you mentioned it has a "cloned-bootable" drive, but can i just go into the drive and extract single/individual files at will (say i deleted a word doc)?

7. jsgreen macrumors 6502

SD Users Manual is also available for dl: http://homepage.mac.com/dnanian/SuperDuper/SuperDuper.pdf

I should RTFM:

Restoring files from a backup
    Recovering a single file – or a few files – is quite easy. Just attach the external drive or mount the backup image, and drag the file back to the proper location using the Finder.

That’s all there is to it!