Back up before iOS updates

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Daysight, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Daysight macrumors regular

I've always backed up our iPhones and iPads on my iMac before doing iOS updates on them but never ran into glitches while updating until the last two. At least one of our four devices hung up during each of the updates and I ended up having to Google solutions and restore them from backups. Yesterday morning trying to update to 7.1.1 my iPhone hung on verifying software. I ended up having to do a long home button press and connect to iTunes. It restored fine eventually after several tries and an iMac reboot, but took so long restoring apps that I had to leave home without it.

With millions of iDevices out there, there must be lots of folks who just click "update" and hope for the best.

2. terrywfoster macrumors regular

That'd be me.

3. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

Yep, then whine because they lost their camera roll pictures :rolleyes:

4. jayes macrumors regular

Same exact thing happened to me. I eventually did a long home / power hold to reboot. I was surprised that it hung as all other updates went smoothly. I eventually hooked it up to iTunes where the update went much better.

The phone was backed up, but not being terribly techie I was glad I did not have to resort to that.

5. cynics macrumors G3

Me as well. I back up data individually. So if something went wrong I'd have the option of a relatively painless restore as new. Or I'd use an iCloud back up if I was in a hurry.