:::Back-up Checklist:::

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Kermit the frog, Jan 15, 2009.

1. Kermit the frog macrumors regular

Kermit the frog

I'm just about to box my macbookpro to send to apple for repairs. What do you guys recommend to check over before i send it off???

Thanx!!!

2. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

3. maclover001 macrumors 6502a

maclover001

Just make a backup of everything in your Home folder, your Address Book, your iWeb site if applicable, and your iCal, and you'll be good. :D

4. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Take photos of it incase it comes back with scratches or dents to the case that weren't there before

5. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I used to scoff at this, but I have had stuff I've had Applecare'd come back looking distinctly worse for wear. However in most cases the Genius will write down the condition of the unit, and in my all-too-frequent visits to the Store they do take a very close look for blemishes before accepting the repair. AASP's are a different matter altogether, especially if they pick up. I've had ACD's with warped stands and some sort of residue smeared on the screen claiming to be a 'new replacement'.

6. kwood macrumors 6502a

kwood

As far as backing up your data goes, I always just copy /Users/me to an external drive. That is where I store everything (like most people). All of your address book data, photos, music and other application data is stored here by default. The only other place to check really is just / (root level of the Macintosh HD). If you saved anything here then you would want to back that up too.

7. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

When a customer brings there machines in to me to get fixed, i stand there with them and have a look at the unit and point out any scratches etc. Make them fully aware make em sign something. That way there is no fall backs

8. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Blegh, yes. I wish I had an Apple store nearby or I'dve taken a picture. Maybe then, I wouldn't have had this fricken dented battery issue. Given, they did offer to replace it, since I called right after I got the computer back from repair. However, I value my time too much to just be without my computer for a week because they ****ed up. So I just live with it...

9. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

Well i couldn't be bothered taking the photos when my macbook had to get fixed a couple of years ago. When i got it back the top case is bulging just a tad. They thought that i had been pulling it to bits.

10. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

I believe that's what they indirectly count on, especially given the laughable terms of Applecare. Coming from Dell where the support is vastly superior and where they come to you (and once again, I'm not talking about those of you who buy your $500 boxes and pay no support) and Sony (and yet again, I only buy the Apple-equivalent-priced flagship models which are made in Japan) where I just don't need the support because they rarely fail, every time I go and sit on the Store benches along with a throng of others who don't seem anywhere near as apoplectic as I am at the sheer Fisher-Priceness of the process involved, let alone the shenanigans at the business level where I have to prostrate myself before the business team simply to get what I consider to be a basic level of support, I just find the whole thing jaw-dropping. Which is why as I've said before, I laugh hysterically every time I hear mention of the words 'Apple' and 'Enterprise'.