Back up copy of Osx10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Avzone, Mar 16, 2009.

1. Avzone macrumors 6502

Avzone

Hello, I am trying to make a back up copy of Leopard on disc but the files don't show up when I insert the disc in my windows p.c (running xp pro).
    I want to burn a back up disc for my own purpose and unfortunately only have a dvd writer on my p.c.
    Can someone advise please as I can't seem to find an option on my p.c saying show hidden files etc, if that's the case?
    Many Thanks!
    :)

2. nutman macrumors regular

you need a program like macdrive, which costs money, as mac disks are formatted in hsf+

3. mgclayton macrumors member

I believe HFSExplorer is a free read only utility.

However, to make a backup of your OS X install disk I would just use Disk Utility on your Mac to make a CD/DVD master file.
    You should then be able rename this file from a .cdr to .iso, copy it to your PC and burn it.

I have never tried this, but I can't see why it wouldn't work. Of course you'll need a double layer DVD.

4. Avzone thread starter macrumors 6502

Avzone

>>>

Really! What a load of fuss.
    I think I just make a copy of the main files on my external hard drive, I just wanted a copy on disc just incase the other got damaged etc, plus its always nice to have a back up.
    :(

5. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well its no hassle if you just do what mgclayton said above- just go into Disk Utility and make a CD/DVD Master disk image on your Mac. Done.

6. Avzone thread starter macrumors 6502

Avzone

7. RoninXI macrumors regular

How-To

1 Put your disk in
    2 Open Disk Utility
    3 Highlight your disk in the left pane (not the disk drive the indented one below it)
    4 click new image
    5 image format: [DVD/CD master]
    6 [Save]
    7 wait....