Back up disc not seen

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Littleboo, Mar 13, 2010.

1. Littleboo macrumors regular

I have had an external hard drive on my computer for back ups. I went to get something off it and I could not find it. I rebooted and I still can't find it. I've tried to unplug and plug back in, but still no disc. I am not sure what to do. It is on, I can see the light on. Any help?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

As almost always more information is needed to properly assess your problem.

Would you please be so kind and offer the answers to the following questions?

1. What Mac do you have - eg. iMac 24" 3.06GHz (June 2009)?
    2. What Mac OS X version do you use - eg. Mac OS X 10.5.8?
    3. What is the model and maker of your external HDD - eg. Western Digital My Studio Edition 1TB (2009)?
    4. What interface do you use to connect the Mac to your HDD - eg. USB, Firewire 400/800, eSATA, Ethernet?
    5. Have you looked at Disk Utility and seen if it shows up there?
    6. What other steps have you taken to remedy the situation?
    7. Have you looked at Finder > Preferences and seen if you have to click "Show external HDDs in Sidebar"?
    [​IMG]

Thank you and sorry for the long post, but sometimes, I mean always, the more information, the more a solution can be brought to justice.

3. Littleboo thread starter macrumors regular

thank you so much. I found the issue. cable went bad. I replaced it and I can now see it.