back up e mail from entourage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by isculpt, Sep 17, 2007.

1. isculpt macrumors member

can someone please tell me how to back up my e mail from entourage? where do I find it on the hardrive
    Thanks,
    Bridgette

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

The file is in YourUsername/Documents/Microsoft User Data/Office 2004 Identities/Main Identity

3. isculpt thread starter macrumors member

never in a million years would I have guessed it was there! Thanks. So if I want to be sure to copy the e mails that are saved in my folders, what do I click on? If I want to be sure to save my address book etc. What do I save?

Also another question... there seems to be a lot in that folder. a ton of auto recovery things. I suppose it is o.k. to delete those. and then many of these word work file A- and a huge number. Opening them up they just look like old work that I thought I saved else where. Is it o.k. to delete these?

Thanks again.

4. blodwyn macrumors 65816

Just copy the file named 'Database', it contains everything - all the emails in all the folders, just the way you have it set up in Entourage. I'm pretty sure the address book (the Entourage one) and the Calendar is also saved in there too. This database file is only readable by Entourage though. If you want to archive the emails into another application then I use MailSteward. This extracts and copies the emails into it's own searchable database, so you have a backup that's independent of Entourage.

I've never seen any auto recovery files in my folder so I'm not sure. You could move them out of the way somewhere and see if any problems occur.