Back up files on MacBook Pro without logging in?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Emjaydc, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Emjaydc macrumors newbie

Hello there. First post here.

I have a question.
    Is it possible to back up files on a MacBook Pro without logging in?
    I have an issue where I'm stuck trying to install an OS with an error and I can't even cancel and log in anymore.

2. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

3. Emjaydc thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi
    Yes I can .

4. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

That should give you terminal, which gives you access to disk utility from the menu.
    You mention an OS installation. I don't know if that means upgrade, or fresh install.
    But with disk utility you can run first aid to repair the boot stuff (it should do that for you)
    and you can probably partition your disk there.
    NOTE: partitioning and formatting makes you LOSE ALL YOUR DATA ..

Who knows though, if you can get into recovery mode, with cmd+r you can perhaps access the data and find a way to back it up. Maybe it's super easy, I dont know, mac usually dont fail on me so dont have too much experience with it. But since the terminal is there and unix under the hood, i dont know why it wouldn't let you mount a volume and external volume and cp (copy) data over.

Just not sure what your game-plan is with the os installation.

5. Emjaydc thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I was trying to upgrade to Sierra but then I got an error. It said "file system verify or repair failed".
    I also tried to run first aid but an error came up saying something about "file system check exit code 8".

6. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

7. Emjaydc thread starter macrumors newbie

8. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

:(
    Not sure what to recommend next.
    Gosh, it sucks never being physically behind someone's system to help

9. Emjaydc thread starter macrumors newbie

No worries.
    It appears the OS upgrade totally messed up my MacBook. I don't even have a back up of all my files. That's my main concern =/

10. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

It sucks that you probably can't just take the drive out and mount it on another system on external usb, get the data off. That is almost a last resource, maybe check with ifixit to see for your model how easy it is though?

Hopefully someone else with a bit more experience on trouble shooting borked upgrades and fail drives, can give more insight and hints.

I googled, but the results all seem to be about external drives for that error.

Did you try going into single user mode and running flchk or whatever that was called?