Back up folder from OS X to Vista

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dotdotdot, Apr 18, 2008.

1. dotdotdot macrumors 68020

On Windows, I had all my iTunes music, 51 GB, in my D:\Music\iTunes\iTunes Music folder. Well, since iTunes for Mac is superior, I copied all the music onto my MacBook, and organize my iTunes library that way.

Well, I still use the Windows comptuer as a server of sorts and want the most up to date music folder on it, but I want the library managed in iTunes on OS X.

I want a way to backup or sync my Mac and Windows' "iTunes Music" folders. What would be the easiest way to do this?

(Also, I can access that drive in OS X - in the Finder bar, I click Go, Connect to Server..., and type in the IP of that computer, choose "D", choose "Music," "iTunes," "iTunes Music" and I'm there - if that helps)

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Since you can connect to the library on the Mac, I reckon you should open the connection and then open iTunes on the PC whilst holding SHIFT. This should give you the option to create a new library or open an existing one. This is when you can navigate to the Mac and start using said library. You should be able to modify it from the PC too, and notice the changes next time you load it up on the Mac. :)

3. glasserp macrumors regular

Hold "option" rather than shift. Shift won't do a thing.

4. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020

Well, that is sort of what I want to do - that would keep the changes, but honestly I don't need iTunes on my PC, and just want the files, which I use in Windows Media Center (all MP3s).

What I want to be able to do is this: when I add songs to my iTunes library on the Mac, every week or so it will sync up with my PC, and on my PC I'll have those songs, in my iTunes Music folder. If I add songs on my PC, I would most likely manually copy them over to the Mac, to have iTunes on the Mac do it's folder organization that I like a lot, and then have those songs transferred to my PC.

I started thinking it would probably just be easiest to have an external hard drive that I keep the songs on, but still, if I can network sync this kind of thing I would rather do that.

Mad Jew is right: on the Mac, it's option, but on the PC, it's shift. Took some time getting used to when I (semi) switched.

5. glasserp macrumors regular

Oops! Didn't see that part + I'm drunk.

6. dotdotdot thread starter macrumors 68020