back up for video files?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Soura2112, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Soura2112 macrumors 6502

I know of sites like Carbonite for offsite back up, but I know a friend who does a tiny bit of editing and it takes him forever to back up on such sites (he also has other large files). So I am curious if there is a site like Carbonite that is made for mass files, if so any recommendations?

I like the idea of Carbonite and such sites especially with video and picture files. Like many of you my drives and mainly back up externals have eventually failed no matter how careful I am. Plus my externals are getting close to the warranties ending, sucks to loose your data but at least you get a new one, or refurbished for free under the warrenty.

Thanks for any info.

2. cgbier macrumors 6502a

With SOPA/PIPA/ACTA dangling over us, I'd rather use redundant backups on hard drives. Who knows if those online storage sites will disappear in the clouds somewhen without forewarning.

3. WRP macrumors 6502a

With video file sizes being what they are I would never think of using an online backup. I use a RAID 5 for media storage and routinely back up to bare drives, one on site and one off site. Ideally I would prefer LTO 5 backup but it's too expensive right now.

4. floh macrumors 6502

As it has already been said, the problem here is certainly not Carbonite, but your friend's internet connection. Uploading huge files (like videos) to the internet takes a very long time.

Don't be fooled by acceptable download times, for most DSL providers the upload speed is by almost a factor of 10 slower than the download speed. This is just what most people want...

I would also recommend external drives. They are quite cheap now and even a very slow one will be way faster than any internet backup. If you insist on off-site, you can carry them to your workplace for safekeeping... ;-)