Back up hard drive unplugging

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by parkschr, Jul 7, 2011.

1. parkschr macrumors member

Everytime I go to take my laptop in the other room (by unplugging the power cord and the external hard drive cord), I forget to eject my external hard drive and I get that message stating I did not properly eject the disk.

Is there a way around this without having to drag the external hard drive to the trash can or eject it?

Is there a preference somewhere that does not allow it to mount to the desktop?

Thanks! :)

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

It really is not that difficult to eject the disk by dragging it to the Trash or highlighting it and pressing Command + E.

3. riptideMBP macrumors 6502

There is a way to keep disks from mounting, but that would be the same as not plugging the external in in the first place

4. parkschr thread starter macrumors member

5. atMac macrumors 6502

Get Windows. Its smart enough to not care and still never screw up your drive. I've never understood why OS X still has problems with this. I've been just yanking drive out of Windows machines since 2001 and never had any problem.

6. parkschr thread starter macrumors member

I've worked with both Windows and Mac for 15 years at work. I don't ever plan on getting a Windows during my lifetime.