Back up HD to the Cloud?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Codeseven, Nov 5, 2014.

1. Codeseven macrumors 6502a

My late 2008 MBP is starting to show it's age. I'm getting nervous about it crashing all together so I want to save my HD content (300Gb's) to a safe location.

Is it as easy as just copying it to the Cloud somewhere? Or should I use a program like Carbonite?

2. J232022 macrumors member

Actually I know Microsoft is not popular on here , but I think when you subscribe to Office 365 you get the mac version and you also get OneDrive unlimited storage with it so technically you can back up your hard drive to that . It is a good deal considering you get unlimited storage AND you get Office for the mac . Just a thought . I think Microsoft is becoming a much better company lately . Hopefully all of these cloud storage companies start offering true unlimited storage like Microsoft .

3. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I wouldn't use such a huge backup to any cloud site. The upload would take forever and push your data cap over the top.

I would consider getting an external and cloning program (I like Carbon Copy Cloner) to clone your hard drive to the external. If you are worried about security then you could put the external in a zip lock bag and bury it in your back yard.

4. Codeseven thread starter macrumors 6502a