Back up..... HELP!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by saladiro, Aug 26, 2010.

1. saladiro macrumors 6502a

saladiro

Hi,

Recently my external hard drive "died". I think I am considering going with an online back up such as carbonite.

Does anyone have any opinions, thoughts, experiences, suggestions? other options?

I don't want to get another external hard drive b/c I have a laptop, and if someone steels that laptop, they most likly will take the hard drive with them

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

How much data do you have? How fast is your internet connection? Online backup is a good option but it requires fast upload speed or only small amount of data. I would still get an external as it's easier and faster to access. Keep it at home so the risk of it being stolen is smaller

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

And keep it in a different place in the home, so if someone breaks in and gets the laptop, it's less likely they'll also find the external HD.

4. saladiro thread starter macrumors 6502a

saladiro

wow, I would say about 60G? (with songs, movies, etc...) I am not sure how fast my internet connection is, it's a cable modem from Optimum online, and I pay for the least speed package.

I guess with the external, I meant that if someone breaks into my apt (i pretty much leave it there, they will most likley grab the HD, and i will be in trouble

5. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Run SpeedTest

As said above, just keep it hidden somewhere. At least for me, burglary isn't a big concern. I can get shot on the street and an online backup won't help me. Of course if your neighborhood ain't that safe, then it might be a bigger issue