back up itunes for clean install of leopard

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lukegarnz, Oct 30, 2007.

1. lukegarnz macrumors member

Hi guys, my copy of leopard arrived today so when i get out of work i'll be sticking it on my macbook. I want to do a clean install of it but want to know if i can transfer all my music etc from my ipod into the newly installed itunes? If someone could point me in the right direction i would really appreciate it.

thanks in advance

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Do you have an external hard drive large enough to store your iTunes Library?

3. lukegarnz thread starter macrumors member

i thought of that but i don't have an external yet, i may be able to borrow my brothers but i doubt it. Any other ideas would be appreciated

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You can either copy over ~/Music/iTunes onto an external drive or try Senuti.

5. lukegarnz thread starter macrumors member

6. ~J~ macrumors 6502

If ur ipod is big enough to hold your entire itunes library, put it in disk mode and use it as an external HD.

7. nmamur macrumors member

itunes has the option to save the whole library to multiple DVDs (if your your library is big enough).

its gonna be file/back up to disc.

itunes will prompt you to insert the next disc when the time comes.
    good luck(im doing the same)

8. aznguy2772 macrumors member

Well, I tried opening Senuti on Leopard. Works fine. Make sure you have the latest version. That being said, if you want to keep your ratings, play count, blah, blah, blah, use Senuti. If you don't use Senuti, make sure you backup the .xml playlists so you won't lose the playlists that you made.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

I've used PodWorks for several years as a safeguard against losing my audio files on my computer. It will extract your audio files from the iPod and maintain the directory structure.