Back up MBP to save space?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by morganwoods, Apr 1, 2011.

1. morganwoods macrumors newbie

Reaching the limit of my 250 gig hard disk so I have now backed up via Time Machine to a 1tb Western Digital external hard drive. My area of focus is my download folder so if I now delete movie and TV files from here will they still be accessible in the ext HD?

If I delete dl'd mp3 albums from here will they disappear from itunes? I just want to make sure that there aren't multiple copies of the same thing

Also is there any point partitioning the ext HD? ie one partition for TM b'ups and another for simple storage?

many thanks

2. skiltrip, Apr 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 1, 2011

skiltrip macrumors 68030

If I were you, I'd consider a drive upgrade. For about $100 you can get a 500GB drive and enclosure from macsales.com. Clone your drive to the new one using the free version of SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner, then swap the drives. It's easy and you'll be right where you left off. No need to get rid of anything, move anything, etc. Why get rid of files you want on your computer? I currently have a 500GB that I am filling up and I'm putting a 750GB in it.

3. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

If you're adamant about avoiding skiltrip's suggestion for an internal drive upgrade, then yes, you should partition the external drive. One partition for your time machine backups and one partition for things you're considering deleting off your internal hard drive.

Time Machine is a backup app, as such is does not make files readily available for normal use. Instead it makes files readily available to restore to the original place in the event that you destroy a file you need. It sounds like you expect to be able to delete your iTunes library and still be able to play your iTunes library music, because you have it backed up on Time Machine. That is not the case.

If you're looking to free up space you can consider moving files, you don't need constantly with your computer, to your other partition. In my case, movies take up a ton of space. I keep them on an external drive, still linked to iTunes for organization and access. I can only play them on my computer when the external drive is plugged in.

4. morganwoods thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies - firstly i would rather just use the ext. hd since this will allow a backup facility as opposed to upgrading the internal hd.

secondly - have now already completed a time machine b'up so i guess partitioning is now out of the question, unless i have the time and inclination to redo it. But yes - the TM b'ups don't function too well as simple file storage - so given i have 1tb available i may go down this route at some stage.

Most of the online resources i have found dealing with TM don't mention partitions so any good links?