Back-up + Media Storage ideas

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by rigberg, Dec 11, 2011.

1. rigberg macrumors newbie

Hello,

I'm feeling a bit frustrated and was hoping some kind people could help me with an issue I am having.

Recently I've had 2 different large capacity hard-drives fail on me. A 1TB Western Digital and 2TB iOmega. In order to save hard-drive space on my 2011 MBP, I've used these hard-drives to house all of my media files (videos, photography, and mp3s) as well as utilize it for Time Machine back-ups. I also used it to store files that I was seeding for torrent purposes.

It worked nicely but it makes me nervous because if the hard-drive would begin to fail without me noticing, I would lose everything, which would be devastating. As it goes, when I noticed the iOmega starting to slow down and make a clicking noise, I transferred everything to my MBP hard-drive.

I've looked into a Time Capsule and it seems like a really cool product, but I already have a decent Buffalo wireless router. I like the idea of having a hard-drive/router in one device and connecting a hard-drive to my current router does not appeal to me.

I guess what I am asking is: are there any hard-drives that will give me more than a year? Am I utilizing the external drive correctly or could this be why I've killed two drives? Do you have any suggestions to meet the needs I have?

Appreciate your help.

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I aways use separate drives for data, and for backup. You must assume that all hard drives will eventually fail... and it makes no sense to have primary data, plus its backup on the same physical drive.

My recommendation is to have two independent backup destinations for 100% of your primary data. One local (for ease of recovery), and one on the cloud (for disaster recovery). Both should be fully automatic with zero human intervention. IMHO, anything less is not a viable backup strategy.

/Jim

3. jackrv macrumors 6502

Personally, I use time machine for a no-thought, easy to restore local backup. I also have another external drive that I use to make periodic backups of my libraries and data. This drive I only connect when doing backups and is stored away from my computer. I do have 1 other drive that I have a carbon copy cloner image of my drive, but I've been lazy with updating that. On top of that, my music library is also in iTunes match as AAC and mp3, and google music as mp3.

There are better setups, but even with what I have, all of my important data is in at least 2 other places than my system drive.

4. rigberg thread starter macrumors newbie

I appreciate the feedback.

Jim, do you have a recommendation for offsite backup? I am familiar with Mozy but they seem a little expensive.

I realize that drives will eventually fail, it seems so counterproductive to pay $100-$150 for 2 or 3 TB of storage and then have the drive most likely fail before you can utilize the space. I like the idea of Time Capsule for wireless backups. I dislike the idea of having another hard drive for data. Perhaps I could use the Time Capsule for Time Machine and then offsite as a backup to the backup. Then keep my data on the computer.

5. Orlandoech macrumors 68040

Orlandoech

You do realize when you buy a HDD (internal or external) they have warranties. I always get OEM internal HDDs and put them in enclosures.

This allows me to quickly replace the HDD if it dies. When the HDD dies, it send it in for an RMA if its under warranty. A lot of Western Digital and Seagate drives have 3-5 year warranties.

Western Digital even does an Advanced RMA which I always utilizes with them.

As a freelance photographer I need to be able to back my data. This is what I do and its cost effective imo.

I have a MBP w/ 750GB in the Optibay with all my CRITICAL data. I never store anything useless like drivers. I backup that data replicate that drive to a FW800 drive and then I have that drive and my Windows Laptop backup to a Synology NAS.

To ensure some disaster recovery, take my FW800 drive to work and back it up at work as well.