Back up my leopard upgrade dvd .

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Seth Mac Fan, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Seth Mac Fan, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

Seth Mac Fan macrumors regular

What is the best way of making a backup copy of my leopard 10.5 upgrade dvd ? Should I use a different program or disk utility to make a image of the dvd ?

I made a .cdr backup with disk utility clicking new image , is that good enough ? Will it be bootable when I burn it to a dual layer dvd ?

I want to make a backup in case I ever loose my original copy or if it gets scratched , also leopard install dvds are really expensive now so I don't want to ever have to replace it that's why I need a good backup for it .

2. tom vilsack macrumors 68000

tom vilsack

Good idea...i did the same with my snow leopard dvd...another option is to make a .dmg image file of your dvd and then restore it to a usb stick (16 gig one),...or what i do after a clean install of any version of osx....install carbon copy or superduper and clone your fresh install (with updates,setting you like ect) to a usb stick...then if you ever want to start fresh,just insert usb stick,hold down option key,boot off usb stick and then clone that back to harddrive....

3. goMac macrumors 603

Yes and yes.

4. jbarley macrumors 68030

jbarley

You can also use a cloning app (SD or CCC) to clone your install DVD to a USB pen drive or a hard drive partition directly.
    I have an external hdd with partitions that contain bootable installs of Tiger, Leopard and Snowleopard, all stored safely away.

5. alexreich, Jul 24, 2012
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012

alexreich macrumors 6502a

alexreich

Yes, that'll do fine. I always back up ALL of my CDs/DVDs. I wouldn't want to have a game disc get ruined and have to buy another, I wouldn't want an OS disc to get ruined and have to buy another, I wouldn't want a music CD get ruined and have to buy another, etc.

It's always good to have a backup of anything you hold dear. I usually have three copies of all my discs. The original disc, a burned disc, and a disk image.

Jbarley has a good point as well about making bootable USB sticks. I always have a bootable install of whatever OS I'm running on my machines, especially with Apple going with download-only route with Lion, Mountain Lion, and future OS's.

Since the day that Lion released I've had a bootable Lion installation USB stick for emergencies. When Mountain Lion comes out tomorrow I'll wipe the Lion installer off that drive and put the Mountain Lion installer on it.

6. Seth Mac Fan thread starter macrumors regular

How do you make a .dmg of your install dvd ? I only seen cd/dvd master and read and read/write image files ?