"Back Up Now" button greyed out in Itunes

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by wake8260, Feb 1, 2013.

1. wake8260 macrumors member

I'm trying to do a manuel back up on my IP5 iOS 6.1 but the back up now button is greyed out. Any ideas on what to do? I've tried going to Files-->Devices but that's also greyed out.

Thanks in advance.

2. redbotsoftware macrumors regular

You have to delete the iTunes preferences file. I had the same problem and this worked for me:

I'm running latest iTunes 11.0.2 and it's OSX 10.8.2

Select Finder.
    Hold the option button while selecting the Go menu on the top bar.
    Holding option brings up the Library in the drop down menu. Select it.(Library)
    Open the preferences folder in this Library folder.
    Find com.apple.iTunes.plist
    (Make sure you quit iTunes)
    Now move this file to the trash.
    Restart your computer.
    Empty out your trash.
    Start iTunes again. (Don't worry, it'll automatically make a new preference file.)
    Now it'll work.

3. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Is your iPhone plugged into the USB port on your computer? It has to be plugged in to back up to iTunes.

If so, I'm not sure what the problem would be.

4. soundsgoodtome macrumors regular

soundsgoodtome

Thanks for this. Worked for me, as well.

(P.S. It's not necessary to restart a Mac after deleting an app's preference file. Just be sure the app's not running, delete the preference file, then relaunch the app. It's not unsafe, and restarting adds no benefit.) :)

5. gasm529 macrumors newbie

great

Thanks for the tip, that fixed it. Awesome as I was looking all morning for this fix.

Cheers

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

No way. You have to plug it in the computer?
    LMAO:D

7. Tyler23, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2013

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Pretty rude. Some people have thought there was a problem since they could sync there phones with iTunes wirelessly, they felt there was an issue that it wasn't letting them back up wirelessly. It happens and on this forum you never know.

8. kimberopen123 macrumors newbie

kimberopen123

Thank you Redbotsoftware!! Your advise worked like a charm!

9. chassis macrumors newbie

Thanks! This solved it. I recently migrated MacBook Airs from a 11" 2011 model to a 2016 11" model and the backup button was greyed out. El Capitan was running on both macbook airs. The iPhone is a 5S with iOS 9.2.1.

10. AmirShayan macrumors newbie

YES. You solved my problem. Thank you so much ♥

11. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

This advice is still good with El Capitan!

OTOH:

WARNING: You should look at your current preferences panes inside of iTunes so that you can easily recreate them after you trash the prefs file!

No restart of Mac was necessary. (I did try simply restarting iTunes before having to resort to this-- which did NOT work.)

The backup will start automatically, so be prepared for that!

So:

1. Make screenshots or notes of which prefs are checked or not. There are several panes in iTunes. (I did not and am unsure about some of the choices!)

2. Quit iTunes.

3. Delete the com.apple.itunes.plist file that's inside your ~/Library/Preferences folder (see earlier directions).

4. Restart iTunes. NOTE: IT WILL START BACKING UP RIGHT AWAY AS THAT IS THE DEFAULT SETTING!!

5. Recheck, uncheck, the various prefs you had set up.

6. Live long and prosper!

12. Saturn007 macrumors 6502

Well, not so fast!

Discovered that it also replaces the device's syncing preferences -- and, even, thinks it's now a new computer to sync to!

Bad, very bad because now I've ended up in iTunes purgatory!

Where, if you select syncing of Info, it wants to merge or replace-- or, if you want to sync Books, movies, etc., it will DELETE everything on your I-device!

Been there before and it's a mess!