Back up options with OS 10.5

Discussion in 'macOS' started by silvrbullet, Jun 24, 2009.

1. silvrbullet macrumors regular

I tried searching for these answers, but I couldn't find anything specific enough. I'm really new with Mac's so bare with me. I have an external hard drive that I currently back up all my media files to, from my PC. As you probably know, Windows gets bogged down with "crap" over time, and a fresh install increases the system performance. Becuase of this, I only backed up everything in my "My Documents" folder (a manual click and drag..) and never made an image of the drive. If I had a disk failure, I want a clean install and then to load all my files back manually.

I was told that Mac's dont get bogged down over time like a windows machine does. Is this true? Would I be better off just using time machine to back up the entire drive, and not worry about doing a fresh install? I'm looking for something more automated, because currently I dont do backups as frequently as I should. My PC is dying, and now it looks like the MBP is going to be my primary computer. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Yes - this is true. Mac users generally just set it and forget it, with Time Machine, and few need to reinstall the OS.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

My personal backup strategy is a Time Capsule backing up all the time and frequent (every 2-3 weeks) bootable clones to a Firewire external drive.

The backups provide different things: the bootable clone would get me running instantly in the case of a drive failure and makes it easy to restore the entire thing if required; the Time Capsule protects against accidental deletion of files etc and could, in a pinch, be used to restore from too.