Back up OS X with Time Machine or not?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by HiFiGuy528, Aug 10, 2008.

1. HiFiGuy528 macrumors 68000

HiFiGuy528

I have 320GB to use as backup drive with Time Machine. Do you think it is beneficial to backup OS X or should I skip it to save space? I do have the reinstall OS X disc.

2. NotFound macrumors 6502a

NotFound

Your reinstall disks don't include documents/photos/music.... yes backing up is essential. I don't use Time Machine though- SuperDuper! is my choice.

3. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

I backup "System" just so that I have a seamless integration with Mac OS X. Personal experience.... Migration is really erratic and doesnt work the way it should! And dragging data all the way from your backup is too painful! Besides, if you dont do a Mac OS X backup, you wont get the full extent of prefs and other tweaked settings as You CANNOT replace your new User Library with the backed up version unless you also replace the System folder (Which you cant). Both are Linked!

What I dont backup is Applications and Caches (Change every hour)

4. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

He doesnt mean "to backup or not" He means "What to backup"! He's asking whether to backup the Mac OS X System folder or not!

5. todd2fst4u macrumors regular

For removing the caches, are you just removing home folder>library>caches ?

6. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ Time Machine automatically doesnt backup caches for your account, all users and the system.

7. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

8. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ in Time Machine with default prefs go to your cache folders and then youll see they are not backed up by default as the folders back in time go black. also search for "cache" in that article youll see a poster says that caches arent backed up by default.

9. ashawley macrumors newbie

My preference. Drives are cheap. Get a big one, let Time Machine backup everything. And then forget about it. Works for me. Sure, periodically I'll use Carbon Copy Cloner to just do a full image in another drive. Never used it. But I like having double backups just in case.

Still like TM better though.

10. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

I decided to basically backup my User folder, and not worry about the rest. I can always reload OS X, and I just wanted to have my personal data backed up.

I've done this on all of my machines, and it works for me. Others may want to backup the entire drive, but for my purposes, it would be over kill, and it would take larger drives than I have...

11. Apple Ink macrumors 68000

Apple Ink

Hmmm... thats strange! Why would they mention then to manually exclude it?
    And ars is never hesitant to edit their articles!:confused:
    Anyways.... sorry if Im wrong!

12. CarlsonCustoms macrumors 6502

I personally back up everything with time machine, but occasionally I will use superduper to make a image file of the harddrive just for extra security. You never know what could happen.

So far time machine has been great though.

Zack