Back up question

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by maddenlo40, Nov 22, 2008.

1. maddenlo40 macrumors newbie

Just purchased a 1 TB back up hard drive for my MacBook Alum that I have to send back because it has a dent from shipping... I have it backed up using Time Machine now. But before I send this computer off, how can i make SURE that everything is on there? I enter Time Machine and it's all there. Any other way to check?

Also, does this also back up all my setting and software?

Sorry if these are stupid questions, but I've never backed up a computer before.

2. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

when you get your new mac and install the back-up you will be looking at everything you see now. exactly.
    I did it from a white Macbook to the new Aluminum.. Everything worked perfectly.

3. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

When you press "Back Up Now", Time Machine should sync everything up to date. If you're still not sure, download Carbon Copy Cloner (free), and make another backup to the external drive.

4. maddenlo40 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Obama macrumors member

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

I thought that this process would erase the drive first so you might want to make the CCC clone in a separate partition than that of the Time Machine backup.

7. silverblack macrumors 68020

silverblack

Exactly. First re-partition the external HDD, and use CCC to clone into one of the new partition.