Back up set up for an office environment

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by onebitrocket, Jul 15, 2010.

1. onebitrocket macrumors member

Hi,

I'm looking to set up a back up system for my office and wondered if anyone had any recommendations. My current set of lacie drive are about to fail, so i need to replace than quickly.

I've looked at time capsule and time machine, but I'm not convinced that it's the right option.

Which ever set up I go for it needs to:
    Work with more than 1 mac
    Be able to back up automatically
    work over wired or wireless connection
    The back up needs to be copied to an external drive that can be taken off site.

The set up needs to keep files backed up that i have taken off my mac. I currently back up 1 months work to dvd if my hard drive is getting full, but I could do with backed up copy remaining on what ever storage set up I went for. ( hope this bit made sense ) :D

Would a Mac Mini server, do the job? If so what would be that advantage of that compare to any other options?

Thanks

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Mac Mini Server would be nice for that but I find the 1TB being not enough, especially for multiple computers. Of course you can add externals but they somehow ruin the design.

I would take a look at used PowerMac G5s and '06 Mac Pros. They can have several internal HDs but aren't much more than Server Mini. Also, think about building a Hackintosh, that's the cheapest option. Make sure all computer are connected to same network via CAT-6 cables (1Gb/s Ethernet cable) to achieve the best speeds