Back up / Storage Question - Flash Drive

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by razu13612, Jan 29, 2012.

1. razu13612 macrumors newbie

First, let me apologize to everyone IF I ask questions that do not seem pertinent, bit I am just a New-bie at this computer stuff and an AARP-Phart to boot......I have an older Mac, new to me but was given to me by my daughter a few years back. Its a Mac OS X, Version 10.4.11 (Tiger, I believe).

Yesterday, I bought a DANE-ELEC 8GB flash drive for system backup and/or photo storage. I was told by the salesman to plug it into the USB port and pop-up windows would "talk" me through it....... I plugged it in and got it recognized but can't figure out where to go from there (no pop-up windows magically appeared).......... I tried the "help" feature, but still am having trouble duplicating the photos I have on IPhoto........... Can some one help me, PLEASE!!!

I would ask my daughter, but she does not live locally and I am sure that she doesn't want to spend time (or have the time) on the phone trying to talk me through. Besides, I am a bit embarrassed to ask her !!!!!!

Ole AARP-Phart, Marty

2. simsaladimbamba

That salesman must have been full of excrement then.
    If you have Tiger*, there is no automatic backup system included, there is one called Time Machine**, that comes with 10.5.
    However, you can drag and drop important folders yourself to the USB flash memory thumb drive if you want

Time Machine FAQ

3. razu13612 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ole AARP-Phart is a happy camper now......... Thanks "Bamba", drag and drop worked fine. Me thinkist Me go back and get a coupla more flash drives,they be cool !!!!!

4. simsaladimbamba

Why not get an external HDD or two to use that for backup purposes, which can be setup in a more automatic way via Time Machine or CarbonCopyCloner?

Time Machine FAQ