Back Up Text Messages

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by bob616, Apr 13, 2010.

1. bob616 macrumors 6502

I need to back up some text messages on my phone because I am going to the Apple store to get my phone replaced. I want to start my new iPhone on a fresh clean firmware but there are some important text messages that I would like to keep. All of the programs I have found online don't work for the latest firmware.
    So are there any that work on the newest firmware? I have a mac and a windows machine so it doesn't matter what the program is for.

Thanks in advance

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Nothing just for texts.
    You either have it all or nothing.
    Restore from backup thru itunes and get every single thing recovered or start clean and you're basicly really clean and left with only stuff you can sync back thru itunes:)

3. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

So there is nothing to back up to your computer?

4. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I think there was a program that would extract your texts from your backup created on itunes.
    But you wont be able to sync them back to the phone.
    Just saved on your mac.

5. bob616 thread starter macrumors 6502

Ok thank you. I hope that one day they have a selective backup.
    Does backing up your phone slow it down at all. I remember reading stories about people who's phones glitches up after restoring from a backup

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

7. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I hear you. A selective backup system would be nice.
    Some that have issues with their iphones say some bugs carry over to the new phone when restored from backup. I never had any probs and I been restoring from backup for about 3 years now.
    But it is alot cleaner to start fresh with nothing and just sync the stuff you need thru itunes.

8. TwoBytes macrumors 68030

TwoBytes

Phone view! Google it. It's a brillaint file manager for your iPhone. Please please support the dev and buy it! I'm not related but hope for our of this software that's saved my bacon a few times

9. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

Not restoring from a backup is good every now and then but not necessary every time you restore. When I first installed 3.0 I restored from a back up and it was sluggish so I restored again and started fresh and I could definitely tell a difference. But couldn't you just forward the text to an email (or even take a screen shot of the text), then after you restore send them back to your phone through email? And if you took a screenshot of the text you could just look at the screenshot and then type it into an email then send it to your phone. (you can send text through email, just send a message to 10digitnumber@txt.att.net or for a mms 10digitnumber@mms.att.net)

10. macbookairman macrumors 6502a

Yeah I can second that. Phoneview is a very good program. Definitely recommend it.

11. outphase macrumors 65816

I didn't see anything in the post that refers to jailbreaking. After all, the files you're messing with reside on the computer and not the phone. The ~/Library/Applications Support/MobileSync/Backup is where OSX keeps iPhone backups.

12. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Oh I see.
    I thought it was in the iphones filesystem.

13. KingHuds macrumors 6502

If you jailbreak you can use iphone browser to back up the sms.db file and then restore it to your new phone, which you would have to jailbreak to restore to, but after you backed it up you could un-jailbreak.

14. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

No, you don't need to be jailbroke to look at the backup, but the OP wanted to be able to get the SMS back on the new phone, which would require jailbreaking.

I've never actually copied the sms.db file back to the iPhone, but this seems like it would work in theory, unless there's some other file needed for the iPhone to read the db file (maybe a plist?).

15. KingHuds macrumors 6502

The phone automatically has the sms.db setup, just replace it with the one you've already saved and it will work like a charm, I've even done this using an sms.db from other phones, i.e. from a 2G to a 3GS and it works fine.

16. FoxMcWeezer macrumors regular