Back up the iTunes Library?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bobr13, Feb 5, 2011.

1. bobr13 macrumors newbie

I recently rebooted my macbook pro.

How to get back into my library? My iTunes library that is? :confused:

In simple terms please.

Cheers, Bob

2. simsaladimbamba

A "reboot" is shutting the computer off (either via normal means or pressing down the power button for five or more seconds) and starting it up again.
    If that is what you did, then your iTunes Library should still be there.

If you mean you reinstalled Mac OS X with "reboot", then you need to be more precise what you actually did with what Mac OS X version and what Mac.

Do you have problem finding your music?
    Have you looked into Macintosh HD / Users / YOU / Music / iTunes for your music and the iTunes library?

And your thread title suggests you want to know about how to back up your iTunes library and music, of which there are numerous guides around the www.
    But your post suggests, that you lost your iTunes library (or even music) and can't get back to it.

So, what is it?

3. bobr13 thread starter macrumors newbie

I wiped the computer but is was very slow. I am running 10.6.6.

4. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Did you backup your itunes folder before wiping everything?

If you did it's a simple process of putting it back. I moved my library from a PC to my Mac on Tuesday without any issues at all.

5. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

.. and if not, then you're up a creek so to speak.

6. bobr13 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I did, but work can't out I have get it back. :confused:

7. simsaladimbamba

Okay.
    What was very slow? The "wiping"? And what kind of "wiping" did you perform?
    Did you do the "Clean Install of OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard" method described in that guide or did you just reinstall Snow Leopard, which does not delete any user data?
    Or was the Mac slow, which was the reason for your "wiping"?
    Did you backup your Mac or user folder at least via Time Machine or any other kind of manual or automated backup?

And what is you actual, now existing, problem?

Can you please answer these questions to the best of your knowledge?
    Otherwise we, or at least me, as I am very unskilled in guessing problems via the world wild wet, are ignorant of your problem. We are not sitting right beside you and can touch the Mac you use and see what it is happening and what works and what doesn't work. That's where written communication comes into play and your written sentences did not really clarify enough for use to help you in a satisfying manner.

I suppose English is not your native language? I cannot understand completely.

How did you back up?
    Time Machine?

I am really urged to write "please", but I will refrain for now.
    Maybe someone else can read your mind.

8. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You did, "but work can't out I have get it back?" Are you using a random scrambling process with the words in your posts? They're very hard to understand.

9. Mik3F macrumors 6502

Assuming you copied the Itunes Music folder from your Music folder then it's straight forward to put it back.

Firstly you need to update your itunes to the latest version. Then go into the prefs and set check the 2 options regarding Letting Itunes keep everything organised.

Now simply copy the itunes music folder you backed up into your music folder overwritting the exsiting one.

If done correctly you now hve all your music, apps back etc.

I did this and it worked perfectly, didn't lose a thing and my iPhone synced up happily again afterwards