Back up time capsule?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by dotme, Sep 6, 2014.

1. dotme macrumors 6502a

I bought a Time Capsule and it's working great. But I'm not sure how I can back the time capsule itself up.

Why do I want to do this? When I leave for a trip, I'd like to put my backup data offsite (safe deposit box, for example) but if I move the time capsule itself, my WiFi network, which things like my Nest thermostat rely on, goes with it

So is there a way to plug an external drive into the time capsule, do a simple snapshot/copy to get the contents onto a drive I can then store offsite? Or should I just be doing a separate backup of all the Macs (We have 3) by taking the external drive to each machine whenever I want to make an offsite backup?

Hope my question makes sense... Thanks in advance!

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you had just one Mac, I would say making each their own on a disk and taking it off site would be better if you ever needed to restore. But that will be a hassle with three Macs.

There is functionality in Airport Utility to do exactly what you want. Just format the USB disk to Mac OS Extended then attach it to the TC. Now open Airport Utility and in the Disk tab use the "archive" button there to copy the entire TC backup drive to the USB drive.

3. dotme thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thank you VERY much! That's exactly what I needed. You rock.