Back up to External HD?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by npolly0212, Jul 10, 2016.

1. npolly0212 macrumors 65816

Hello all, I have an external hard drive with lots of material from my last macbook on it that I do not currently have ob my macbook pro.

I wasn't to run a full backup to my External HD, but if I try to use Time Machine it tell she I need to erase the Hard Drive in order to back the laptop up to the Hard Drive.

Is there anyway around this without having to erase the disk?

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Time Machine requires the disk to be formatted as HFS+ Extended (Journaled) and that the partition type is GUID Partition Table (GPT).

See here:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT204157

3. savagewatts macrumors regular

Unfortunately no, it needs to be formatted first. I had the same issue a few years ago.

4. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I figured as much.

Is there anyway around it without using time machine?

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

Use a tool like SuperDuper or Carbon Copy Cloner? I haven't used either for a while but I'd think they or some other similar alternative would do the trick.

6. npolly0212 thread starter macrumors 65816

I am just going to end up transferring everything, deleting it and reformatting for time machine I guess. None of them work with my format file. I appreciate the information and help!

7. Benjinator macrumors newbie

If it is already guild partion scheme you can make separate partitions through disk utility and keep your old data on one partition and format the other to work with time machine.