back up to harddrive on extreme in tiger???

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by niqolas619, Sep 2, 2009.

1. niqolas619 macrumors newbie

Ok, this is the setup: got an external hard drive hooked up to an airport extreme via USB. I have a macbook that's a few years old with the intel core duo processor and running OS 10.4.11.

I want to be able to see/backup to this hard drive wirelessly from my macbook while on my home network. Basically, everything I've found online makes it look like I have to have my extreme on an 802.11n connection or whatever, which my macbook isn't capable of (intel core duo processor), right? The reason I say this is that all the instructions on how to turn this on circle around options that I don't see in my airport admin utility program.

So is this possible, or am I gonna have to get a new macbook before I can do this. If I get leopard or snow leopard would I be able to do this with time machine, or do I need to be able to do 802.11n for that, too?

Thanks in advance.

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

This could easily be done with a copy of Snow Leopard, as Time Machine makes backing up wirelessly a world easier than what you're doing. Based on the fact you've got it hooked up to your Airport, if you're still running Tiger, that could be the reason as to why it's unable to access the disk.

3. niqolas619 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was pretty sure I could do this with Leopard, my question was more along the lines of "can I do this with tiger?" Not so much an automatic backup or anything, just a manual thing where I can access it through ssh or fugu or something.