Back up to large to restore

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by red41, Oct 15, 2014.

1. red41 macrumors regular

My lady friend was trying to help her mom upgrade her iphone 5. The iphone was completely out of space when they started the upgrade process so I told them to delete a few things, which they did. They were able to upgrade the iphone but now with IOS 8 she has 12gigs of free space and the back up is 13gigs.

She basically just wants her texts back as she was able to still sync her photos, contacts and apps. Any ideas?

2. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

here is a guide that shows you how to extract the SMS portion of the iTunes backup

3. EDH667 macrumors 6502a

EDH667

Are you trying to do the restore while the iPhone is hooked up to iTunes? By doing the restore through a computer, it will use the computer hard drive to store data through the process. Try that and see if you run into the same problem.

4. red41 thread starter macrumors regular

Yes, the back up is on the computer. But when we try to restore it says the Iphone doesn't have enough space. Basically IOS 8 takes up more space than IOS 6 (which her mom was still on) so the back up of her iphone is too large to put back on her iphone. I found the file in the back up where all the texts are but I can't restore just one file.

5. heisenberg123 macrumors 603

heisenberg123

opps forgot to post the guide
    here you go

http://www.idownloadblog.com/2014/03/06/how-to-back-up-restore-sms-messages/

6. red41 thread starter macrumors regular

7. red41 thread starter macrumors regular

So, after doing a little research. The text message file has a very specific name in the back up folder (3d0d7e5fb2ce288813306e4d4636395e047a3d28). I guess I could take that file from the old back up and replace it in a new back up folder and then restore. The webpage above kind of gave me the idea. Can anyone think of a reason why that wouldn't work?