Back-up to the cloud?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by daniel1948, Nov 27, 2015.

1. daniel1948 macrumors 6502

daniel1948

So as readers of my other thread will know, I have a brand new iMac. Not really relevant to my question below, but if anyone's curious, it's a 21 1/2 inch 4K with the i5 chip, 8 GB RAM, and 256 GB SSD.

The old computer was backed up to an external HD, which I'm going to keep as an archive of my old files. I could buy a new external drive for backup, but I'm thinking of backing up to the cloud. There are plenty of cloud services to choose from. But I've been unable to find information about software to manage the backups. Apparently (according to a guy on Apple's phone support line) Time Machine requires a physical drive and won't work with a cloud drive. Is that true? What's a good backup program that works with a cloud service?

2. santaliqueur macrumors 6502a

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Backblaze and Crashplan type services like santaliqueur mentioned, come with their own software you just download from their sites and install.

If you want something where you install third party backup that allows cloud back to a site of your choosing, take a look at the application Arq. I use Arq to backup to Amazon's S3 servers.

4. daniel1948 thread starter macrumors 6502

daniel1948