Back-up UMBP? + Spotlight Question...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CitiXen, Apr 28, 2009.

1. CitiXen macrumors member

CitiXen

First of all, I am new to Mac and I have a few problems, questions...

I have been looking through the Spotlight settings and have heard that if you disable it, it can drastically improve your battery life. After disabling it through System Prefs> Spotlight> Privacy and removed all... I have decided I want it back, but can't seem to get it working again, help?

My other dilemma is that Apple is replacing my new UMBP due to a faulty keyboard... thing is I want to back-up the current state of my UMBP so I can load it during setup on my UMBP replacement and keep all my files. My current external 1TB was used for PC only with windows, does it need to be formatted? What is the best/quickest way to clone or back-up my current UMBP? How do I load it on my replacement UMBP right away? Thanks for your help!

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    You can easily reformat the external hard drive using the "Disk Utility" app. And then you can use it with time machine to make a backup. And when you get the new computer, you can reconnect the hard drive after setting up the OS and restore from Time Machine backup. :)

oh, and also when you get the new computer it will get a fresh copy of the OS so it should fix any problems you have with your Spolight.

3. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

like jmann said disk utility is great. i would definitely recommend reformatting it as well.

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

If you disabled Spotlight, Time Machine won't work, since Time Machine uses your Spotlight index to locate and back up all the files.

You can delete, force Spotlight to reindex, by first disabling all the "exceptions" you put in; then go to your boot volume's root and delete the .Spotlight-V100 file. (You may have to use Terminal for that—> rm -rf /Volumes/Macintosh\ HD/.Spotlight-V100 ; replace 'Macintosh\ HD' with whatever you boot volume is named)
    Restart your machine and Spotlight should reindex.

5. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

what about if you just remove the icon from the top bar?

6. aristobrat macrumors G4

Wonder how that works?

AFAIK, the only time Spotlight does anything that would really work a battery is when it does the initial index, or is forced to re-index (which is fairly infrequent).

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I don't think you can remove the icon without turning off Spotlight (AKA disabling).

8. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

you can using Deeper

9. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

How do I go about doing this? Like I said, I'm new to Mac sorry. What's terminal? How can I find my boot volume?

Is Time Machine best? What about carbon copy cloner? Thanks

10. CitiXen thread starter macrumors member

CitiXen

Also will all my OS X preferences like expose and tap click and other thing copy with my back-up? Safari bookmarks too?

11. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

Terminal is found under applications>utilities.

12. Disavowed macrumors regular

Disavowed

What if you use Quicksilver instead of Spotlight?

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

14. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

UMBP = Unibody MacBook Pro

15. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

I'm hoping you're being sarcastic but in case you're not it stands for Unibody MacBook Pro.

Since we're talking about disabling spotlight and what not I was curious if there was a way to disable or hide the finder icon, I hate that thing and I never use it.

Edit: Darn Vicious beat me too it. LOL oh well.

16. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

Finder is always - ALWAYS - active. It's not a single 'application' like everything else on the dock. It's ultimately the Mac version of Windows Explorer. If you get rid of the Finder icon, then you will not be able to open any folders; you know the window that appears when you click on the Macintosh HD icon? That's Finder. The 'app' you use to browse your files and folders? That's Finder. Finder manages anything and everything to do with the files on your Mac, so basically if you try and remove that you'll be better off just not using your Mac at all. Your folders and your desktop will be absolutely unusable.
    Somehow I think your statement of "I never use it" to be an exaggeration. If you've ever placed a folder on your desktop or moved, browsed, copied or deleted files you will have used Finder.

17. ViciousShadow21 macrumors 68020

ViciousShadow21

after a little research it seems that it is possible but it's very complicated.

this thread explains a little more. hope it helps

18. UniPro macrumors regular

UniPro

Hmm well I seem to have misphrased what I meant and I apologize for not being clear. I understand what finder is and how it works. What I never use is the icon itself and would just like a way to take it off my dock. That's all I meant.

19. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I thought thats what was meant but I figured it would be written

UBMP for Uni-body Macbook Pro. Learn a new abbreviation every day :D