Back-up usage

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by arjen92, May 7, 2009.

1. arjen92 macrumors 65816

arjen92

He,

I wondered how many of you really used your back-up because things got lost or whatever. Cause personally I don't see my mac really soon be stolen, corrupt data, or that I want a previous file.

2. GregE macrumors 6502

My hard drive crashed in my iMac about a month ago without warning. One Saturday I woke up and went to check my e-mail. When I clicked on a message, no text came up. Then I couldn't click on anything. I rebooted but nothing would come up. I made an appointment with a Genius and left my iMac there for a few days. They ended up replacing the hard drive and everything on it was lost. I had some backups but not everything. Now I use CrashPlan to have a good backup on an EHD at home and on an extra PC at work.

Can you guarantee your hard drive won't die without warning?

3. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Nobody ever does ;)

This Forum is littered with threads from people who are desperate to recover their data and they all say, "I don't have a backup".

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

4. MotleyPete macrumors regular

Time Machine has saved me a couple of times. Mainly when I save a file and then realise I shouldn't have (eg. after I've merged layers in a Photoshop file or something).

Pretty handy.

5. old-wiz macrumors G3

6. ksmith80209 macrumors 6502a

I was at a client site with my MBP when someone dumped 20oz of water on to my keyboard frying many of the keys. After trying many techniques to dry it out (with partial success), I ended up buying a new machine. Luckily, I had a very recent SuperDuper! back-up sitting on any external hard drive. Expecting the worst, I hooked up the new machine and started the restore process. 45 min later, I had an exact replica of the old machine. Exact down to the desktop image, the saved passwords, EVERYTHING was exactly like on the old machine.

This probably saved me countless hours/dollars of time.

Do I think back-ups are worth it? Yep.

These days I run a Drobo with 2TB of storage hooked to an Airport Extreme.

7. arjen92 thread starter macrumors 65816

arjen92

This is so ironic, a 3 months ago my mac's hard drive slowly crashed, and I had no back-up. Now I see why it's essential.

(I got my hard drive running before it would never respond again and quickly made a back-up of the entire drive, after the repair my iMac had everything like it always was, pretty nice time machine)