Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

techspin

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 21, 2014
Just a fair warning to anyone who needs to move their watch to a new iPhone...encrypt your iTunes backup! Not sure when I deselected this option but I lost my activity history and I've given away my old phone.

Hopefully you learn from my mistake. :eek:

Resqu2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2011
I did the iCloud restore on my new X and at a point it ask if I wanted to use my watch on my new phone, clicked yes and all is fine.

majurg

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2014
Raleigh, NC
Just a fair warning to anyone who needs to move their watch to a new iPhone...encrypt your iTunes backup! Not sure when I deselected this option but I lost my activity history and I've given away my old phone.

Hopefully you learn from my mistake. :eek:
Yes, I think that data falls under the protected health data. Therefore you need to do an encrypted iTunes backup if you want to keep that information.

freemyheart

macrumors member
Jan 26, 2018
If you primarily backup to the cloud, is it backing up your activity as well? I have it set to encrypt (in my iTunes settings on my PC), but I want to make sure that I don't lose my 137 days in a row if I somehow lose my watch. (I only currently backup to the cloud every 24 hours or so.)

I think it does, as I have Health listed as an app using icloud under icloud settings on my iPhone. Just want to make sure the backup to the cloud includes this data, or if I should be plugging in to the computer every day and making a backup to my computer also.

Last edited:

matrix07

macrumors G3
Jun 24, 2010
If you primarily backup to the cloud, is it backing up your activity as well? I have it set to encrypt (in my iTunes settings on my PC), but I want to make sure that I don't lose my 137 days in a row if I somehow lose my watch. (I only currently backup to the cloud every 24 hours or so.)

I think it does, as I have Health listed as an app using icloud under icloud settings on my iPhone. Just want to make sure the backup to the cloud includes this data, or if I should be plugging in to the computer every day and making a backup to my computer also.

iCloud back up is always encrypted so yes, it includes Health data.

If you rely on iCloud then you have nothing to fear on Health data. It’s the ones who rely on iTunes that will have to make it right by checking Encryption option. What I always did was backing up to iCloud also even though I planned to restore new phone from iTunes.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lennyvalentin
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.