Back up?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by speedycar, Mar 10, 2008.

1. speedycar macrumors newbie

Guys sorry I have been trying to search this but couldnt find anyting.

I am selling my iMac and need to make a complete back up of everything including apps and then have to erase everything so the new owner doesnt have access to anything!!

Where do I start and can I use an external HD to put all the info onto? I have to buy one in this case. Burning 23 DVD`s might take some time......:eek:

2. brn2ski00 macrumors 68020

brn2ski00

Yes.

Buy an external HDD and if you are using leopard, Time Machine will do all the work. If you are not, just drag and drop anything and everything onto that HDD and do an Erase/Install of the new OS.

Simple.

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

...or use SuperDuper! or Carbon Copy Cloner to make a bootable clone of your disk, to an external disk, which the migration assistant can use when get a new machine... and then do an erase and install on your current machine before offloading it... :)

4. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Get an external disk at least as large as your internal.

Use SuperDuper! to replicate your internal disk to external.

This external disk is now bootable! Not only is it a complete copy, but you can also boot off it when you get a new machine (as long as it has the same sort of processor).

I would also make sure I had more than one copy of important files too, before blasting your original disk.

When you delete your computer drive, boot off your original install disk and use one of the security settings (at least write zeros over the whole drive). Then reinstall the OS for them before sale.

5. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I'll have to agree with this...if possible, don't get one but two external disks and make two clones (then store one elsewhere, ie. not at home), for maximum security.

6. speedycar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys, should I go the Fire Wire Drive route??

7. speedycar thread starter macrumors newbie

Will Time Machine make a complete back up of everything on the HD?