Backblaze.com online backup service, anyone use it?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by prvt.donut, Mar 2, 2012.

1. prvt.donut macrumors 6502a

prvt.donut

As I just saw someone in a MBA thread mention this service, I am curious about using it.

I want to know how it runs, (is it as seamless as time machine?)

Have you tried doing an online restore of files?

How about an online full system restore? What is the procedure and how long did it take?

2. johto, Mar 3, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2012

johto macrumors 6502

johto

Im using CrashPlan. I heard that Backblaze doesnt preserve all the important HFS+ filesystem's file attributes/meta-data. :confused:

I'v been using CrashPlan now for few months. Uploaded there already about 300 Gigs(Machintosh HD), and about 800 gigs(my Media disk) remaining :D Of course i already have mirrored these locally (Carbo Copy Cloner).

When i tested Backblaze, and got better transfer speeds, but the meta-data thingy i didnt like, if its true.
    See: http://www.warrenvolz.com/2010/03/22/backblaze-and-metadata/
    and
    http://josselson.posterous.com/the-importance-of-metadata-on-the-mac

3. johto macrumors 6502

johto

UPDATE: Crashplan f00bared two times during the first month, so i'm fed up with it!

First time it just stopped uploading, and crashplan support told that my data was "moved" to another cluster. During the same month, still during my INITIAL upload (i have over 1 terabyte), it magically decided to start from the START, WTF? I am 90% sure i didnt do anything weird with the settings!

This was too much for me. I switched to BackBlaze, even without those "metadata". I tested during the trial to restore some of my files, and the time stamps etc, and file permissions were "OK". Just as any files would be if i download/unarchive within my user account.

I figured, that if some metadata were lost, it would be something system level stuff, i dont care anyhow if ever need to restore my files (it would be a clean install anyways). My initial backup is still going(1+ terabyte), and I haven't managed to upload 24/7 because my girlfriend wants to play games during the day, inside bootcamp. i have mostly left it backuping during the nights.

4. 1100feet macrumors newbie

Backblaze?

@johto - Any updates? I installed the 30 day trial of Crash Plan last night to have a play. I was tossing up between the two.
    Can you confirm that backblaze will allow you to backup network folders?

Any regrets switching?

Cheers

5. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Hi. If i remember, no, it doesnt support network folders, i dont have that need.

My main computer disk has been finished the initial backup.

My external Media disk is still doing its first backup phase ( i have many terabytes of movies) :D
    I havent had the opportunity to keep my system on 24/7 currently, thats why its taken longer to backup.

The program it self and the service has worked just fine. No complaints. No weird stuff happened like i experienced with crashplan.

6. NatefromRI macrumors newbie

Yes, I signed up with Backblaze.com about 6 months ago. It took approximately 5 days or so for the initial backup to occur, and it was seamless. In fact, until just two weeks ago, I basically forgot that it was backing up to their servers. I checked on their web site and saw it was still functioning and copying my latest files to their servers.

I've never tried an online restore of more than a couple of files via .zip files. If the worst happens, I'll just pony up the $189 for the 1TB drive to be mailed to me.

So far, I've been happy with their service.

--Nate

7. johto macrumors 6502

johto

Update: FInally had enough time using my imac on osx environment(and uploading) so i just got finished my initial upload of 1,5 terabytes to backblaze:)