Backblaze (or CrashPlan) vs Dropbox (or Google Drive)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by boombass, Sep 10, 2014.

1. boombass macrumors newbie

I would like to use some cloud storage to back up my Mac. I already have use a Time Capsule to back up my Mac's HD, and I have other important rarely used files on a NAS which is backed up nightly to attached hard drives. For an extra level of backup, I was ready to go with a service like Backblaze or CrashPlan, but recently Dropbox lowered their prices to a point where they are looking good, too.

Backblaze would be a lot like a remote Time Machine backup. Very simple, but it basically mirrors what is on my hard drive and no more. I have some files on my home NAS which I would also like to back up remotely, but I don't want to keep them on my Mac all the time.

With Dropbox I could tell it to back up all or some of my hard drive - the important stuff - and still have space left over to back up some files which are important to me but don't always sit on my hard drive. It might be a little more expensive (I would purchase the 1 TB option) but it seems more flexible.

And if the Dropbox route is good, why not go with OneDrive? I can buy a one year subscription to Office 365 for about 80% of the price of a year of 1 TB of Dropbox, and get five 1 TB accounts plus be able to use Office on my iPad, and more. I find Dropbox more elegant than OneDrive, though.

Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Has anyone used a service like Dropbox to do this?

Thanks!

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Do you have any close relatives close by then you can add that " rarely used NAS" at their place and VPN into that NAS and use that as a "remote cloud drive" and have no monthly payments. :eek:

3. Primejimbo macrumors 68040

I use Crashplan and no issues at all. I don't think you can compair GoogleDrive/Dropbox to Crasplan at all. One is back up while one is storage to use to link between computers. Crashplan is under $5 a month also for unlimited back up.

4. boombass thread starter macrumors newbie

@satcomer: Sorry, it's not a rarely-used NAS - I use it all the time as a Plex server too. The files I store on it are rarely used. I'd like to back up files on both my MacBook and my NAS - not all of them, just the important irreplaceable ones. Photos, videos, documents. And I don't want to keep lots of raw video files on my MacBook all the time so they get backed up to Backblaze.