Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
I know this topic has several threads, most of which appear to be old, but if I am duplicating a new one, please let me know.

I used to use Mozy when they were new, but I had a HD failure and when it came time to restore the backup, it was nearly impossible. Support LITERALLY forwarded my call to some higher-up who did help me from his end, but he was on a cruise ship on vacation, and communication was difficult at best. Anyway, I decided that a company which relies on people even on their off-time because the essential stuff like restoring was too difficult for Tier 1 support wasn't for me.

I switched to Carbonite, but for some reason which was not fixable for the three years I used them, it repeatedly stopped backing up and whenever I noticed that it had stopped, they would walk me through restarting it and trying to fix the problem.

Then I went to CrashPlan, where I am now, but it uses up huge amounts of my resources all the time, which is annoying as I use a huge percentage constantly and it would freeze me up too frequently. There is also a problem with getting rid of old backup files. I am entirely unable to delete dozens of old backups because I on't have permission to delete a file called CrashPlan.app which is 0 kb sitting two tiers down. (Waiting for support to call me now, as two hours ago, they were too busy to handle my call.)

They also had some major billing issues which had them billing me for three different accounts repeatedly, which makes me hate them.

So...

I am looking at cancelling my subscription there and am hoping someone can tell me what might work best for me.

I am looking at Backblaze due to the Mac-centric focus and the fact that they have to be well-versed in what they do. But while looking at their site, this particular sentence made me wonder if they are not up to date:

"It doesn't matter if you are running Mac OS X Lion or Leopard, Backblaze's online backup service will work for both."

I'd appreciate opinions and reasoning from anyone who cares to give them.

Thanks.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I gave up on any of those services you mentioned. It seemed they all oversell capacity and the speeds were inconsistent when I tested. Plus like you mentioned, the Mac client apps seem like an afterthought for most of them.

I ended up using the app Arq to backup online to Amazon's S3 servers. I never have any trouble saturating my connection either direction. The Arq dev. is very responsive and is always adding new features. There is a chart here that shows the various online places you can use Arq to backup along with pricing.

I have about 30GB backed up to S3 and it costs me under $1.00 a month.

Last edited:
Reactions: happycadaver

Laisha

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 21, 2014
Far northern Maine.
I ended up using the app Arq to backup online to Amazon's S3 servers. I never have any trouble saturating my connection either direction. The Arq dev. is very responsive and it always adding new features. There is a chart here that shows the various online places you can use Arq to backup along with pricing.

I have about 30GB backed up to S3 and it costs me under $1.00 a month.

Is it complicated? As you can probably tell, I don't do complicated well. :)

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Is it complicated? As you can probably tell, I don't do complicated well. :)

https://www.arqbackup.com/documentation/

Here is the documentation to walk you through setup. Once setup, you just ignore Arq and it runs by itself however often you told it to. If you choose something other than Amazon to backup to, it is fairly straight forward. But configuring Amazon S3 or Glacier storage on the Amazon side it somewhat confusing. I used this step by step guide to configure Arq with Amazon S3 and it worked perfectly.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But configuring Amazon S3
So am I correct in assuming that you procure Amazon's cloud service outside of Arq?

I have OneDrive (thanks to my Office365), I may try it and see how it works.

Related question, how do you feel about Amazon's cloud offering, fast, reliable?

OneDrive is adequate but not great.

arqbackup

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
So am I correct in assuming that you procure Amazon's cloud service outside of Arq?

Related question, how do you feel about Amazon's cloud offering, fast, reliable?

(i work for Arq Backup)

Yes, you sign up for Amazon Web Services outside of Arq. Here's the help doc on that: https://www.arqbackup.com/documentation/pages/add_destination.html
Amazon S3 is extremely fast and reliable.
OneDrive's API is very, very slow right now. I'm hoping they improve that.

Reactions: Weaselboy

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

Yes... like arqbackup said, you sign up for the Amazon account separately. I find S3 very fast and reliable. I have a 40/6 connection I can fully saturate in either direction any time I use S3. Amazon also has a fairly new Amazon Cloud service that I have not used that also works with Arq.

You can also use multiple destinations for different folders. I have my users folder going to S3, but you could in addition to that have maybe just your ~/Documents folder backup to Google Drive for example.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I find S3 very fast and reliable.

Thanks, I'm not a huge fan of OneDrive but since I have a TB for free (so to speak) since I'm a user of Office 365, why not use it. So far, is only processed 7GB of data out of 465GB. I may cancel it and see how S3 is compared.

(i work for Arq Backup)

Yes, you sign up for Amazon Web Services outside of Arq. Here's the help doc on that: https://www.arqbackup.com/documentation/pages/add_destination.html
Amazon S3 is extremely fast and reliable.
OneDrive's API is very, very slow right now. I'm hoping they improve that.
Do you know how Amazon's glacier compares to OneDrive - that seems a little more cost effective then the S3 storage

Last edited:

arqbackup

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
Do you know how Amazon's glacier compares to OneDrive - that seems a little more cost effective then the S3 storage

Glacier is per-GB pricing at $.007/GB per month in the US. The downside with Glacier is it takes 3-5 hours to start getting your data back. Google Cloud Storage's "nearline" storage has similar pricing ($.01/GB per month) but no delay in restoring.

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
Glacier is per-GB pricing at $.007/GB per month in the US. The downside with Glacier is it takes 3-5 hours to start getting your data back. Google Cloud Storage's "nearline" storage has similar pricing ($.01/GB per month) but no delay in restoring.
How have you found speed and reliability with Google Nearline? I only have about 30GB on S3, so the cost is not really an issue for me, but for users with more data, Glacier or Nearline seem like a better option with the no delay restore tilting things toward Nearline maybe?

arqbackup

macrumors newbie
Dec 19, 2015
How have you found speed and reliability with Google Nearline? I only have about 30GB on S3, so the cost is not really an issue for me, but for users with more data, Glacier or Nearline seem like a better option with the no delay restore tilting things toward Nearline maybe?

We haven't gotten any customer reports of problems with speed or reliability with Google Nearline.

LumbermanSVO

macrumors 65816
Mar 15, 2007
Denton, TX
Thanks to this thread, I'm finally getting an offsite backup. Between the delays in retrieving data, or extra cost for external drives, I just didn't like the big players in this game. But the ARQ + Amazon solution looked perfect for me. Now my MacMini and RAID array are finally backed up at a reasonable price!

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
I'm looking for a backup solution too and Arq looks like a good option. I'm thinking of signing up for the AmazonDrive unlimited plan to use with it.

One question, why would you need Arq when AmazonDrive provides uploading solutions of it's own? Any reason?

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
I'm looking for a backup solution too and Arq looks like a good option. I'm thinking of signing up for the AmazonDrive unlimited plan to use with it.

One question, why would you need Arq when AmazonDrive provides uploading solutions of it's own? Any reason?
The Amazon Drive software is much like Dropbox where it is intended to just sync a folder to the cloud service. It is more of a sync service and than a backup service.

Arq is by default setup to upload your entire users folder. It also encrypts the data before it leaves your machine, so it is stored on Amazon's servers in an encrypted format. Arq also keeps "versions" of your files, so if you need to go back into the backup and retrieve a file from a month or so ago, you can.

Reactions: kdum8

kdum8

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
The Amazon Drive software is much like Dropbox where it is intended to just sync a folder to the cloud service. It is more of a sync service and than a backup service.

Arq is by default setup to upload your entire users folder. It also encrypts the data before it leaves your machine, so it is stored on Amazon's servers in an encrypted format. Arq also keeps "versions" of your files, so if you need to go back into the backup and retrieve a file from a month or so ago, you can.

Great, that's really informative, thank you. :) I think I'll go with the Arc plus Amazon Cloud Drive solution. I have 3TB to back up on Amazon Cloud, let's hope they actually let me!

mousemd

macrumors member
Nov 21, 2002
Hi - I too have had backup issues before. Lost so many files over time. I had a major crash where I needed to recover my backup. I use BACKBLAZE and can't recommend them enough. Not a hit on the resource end. It takes a long time to back up and yes I've had times where the back up was corrupted and had to restart the backup. however, recovery was a breeze. I didn't want to wait for the "free download"(I have ~2 TB of data) so I opted to pay for the USB drive option and they shipped them out ASAP.

It is easy to use (no-brainer). Not a resource hog as far as I can tell. I do light photo editing and basic stuff with my mac so hard to say how much of a resource hog is might be with more demanding stuff. Good luck!

I know this topic has several threads, most of which appear to be old, but if I am duplicating a new one, please let me know.

I used to use Mozy when they were new, but I had a HD failure and when it came time to restore the backup, it was nearly impossible. Support LITERALLY forwarded my call to some higher-up who did help me from his end, but he was on a cruise ship on vacation, and communication was difficult at best. Anyway, I decided that a company which relies on people even on their off-time because the essential stuff like restoring was too difficult for Tier 1 support wasn't for me.

I switched to Carbonite, but for some reason which was not fixable for the three years I used them, it repeatedly stopped backing up and whenever I noticed that it had stopped, they would walk me through restarting it and trying to fix the problem.

Then I went to CrashPlan, where I am now, but it uses up huge amounts of my resources all the time, which is annoying as I use a huge percentage constantly and it would freeze me up too frequently. There is also a problem with getting rid of old backup files. I am entirely unable to delete dozens of old backups because I on't have permission to delete a file called CrashPlan.app which is 0 kb sitting two tiers down. (Waiting for support to call me now, as two hours ago, they were too busy to handle my call.)

They also had some major billing issues which had them billing me for three different accounts repeatedly, which makes me hate them.

So...

I am looking at cancelling my subscription there and am hoping someone can tell me what might work best for me.

I am looking at Backblaze due to the Mac-centric focus and the fact that they have to be well-versed in what they do. But while looking at their site, this particular sentence made me wonder if they are not up to date:

"It doesn't matter if you are running Mac OS X Lion or Leopard, Backblaze's online backup service will work for both."

I'd appreciate opinions and reasoning from anyone who cares to give them.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.