Backed up all my music but something happened?!?!?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BrettFarve04, Dec 7, 2008.

1. BrettFarve04 macrumors regular

Hey all,
    I wanted to back up all my music and now when i go into itunes all my music comes up with this

Can anyone help me?!

I followed theses directions http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1449

P.S. all my songs have the exclamation point [​IMG]

2. xxlordgold macrumors member

As in, you backed them up onto an external drive? Did you leave copies of the files in their original location, or move them?

The exclamation marks are letting you know that iTunes cannot find the original file at the location you specified in iTunes- Preferences...- Advanced in the iTunes music folder location box. You could change the location to where ever you moved the files to.

3. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

my music is still on my macbookpro harddrive

i just followed those directions on the apple website and now I'm having problems.

Does this picture help at all?[​IMG]

4. rat tat tat macrumors newbie

check to see if the music files that have an exclamation mark right next to it have been deleted from the folder location. when playing the selected music files, itunes is trying to find that file in that folder location.

5. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

my music is still on my internal harddrive on my notebook.

6. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

UPDATE:

When i have the external harddrive plugged in...and i try to play music though itunes it works fine. It's just when I don't have the external plugged in is when it gets all screwed up

7. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

8. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

What Volume is "Crakhouse" :)rolleyes:) ?

Is that your external?

9. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

crackhouse is my internal drive "external" is the external drive

10. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

When you plug your external in, right click on a song that has a ! when it's not plugged in and choose 'Show in Finder'. Does the Finder window open to the external drive? Does the song file exist on the internal?

11. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

i just tried that and nothing happened?!?! I'm worried that i lost all my music :(

12. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

13. rat tat tat macrumors newbie

Do you know if you've happen to delete the songs from the itunes music folder? Ex. In the advanced settings in itunes, if you've checked 'copy files into itunes music folder when adding to library', itunes is going to check into that location. But if you've set it to go to a different location, itunes is going to look into that location or directory.

14. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

I changed the location settings in iTunes. I put it back to my regular macbookpro harddrive....and still when i click on any song it just says the following.

" The song " INSERT SONG NAME HERE") could no be used because the original file could not be found would you like to locate it.

Im soo confused

15. rat tat tat macrumors newbie

Go to Itunes>Preferences>Advanced. Did you make sure that you uncheck 'copy files to itunes music folder when adding into library'? Or do this as a test, remove the music files from itunes, if it tells you to keep files or remove, keep files but from there go to File>Add to Library and add the location of the music files/folders that you have modified to see if plays any music.

16. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

Simplest thing to do since you know the music is still there is select "yes" at the warning and then go to your iTunes folder and select that song. Another way would be to remove everything from iTunes (do not delete from folder) and then just drop the music folder into iTunes to re-import them.

17. BrettFarve04 thread starter macrumors regular

Will i lose all my playlists and stuff???

When i plug in the exeternal and try to play songs it works fine.......does anyone have anymore advice??