Background activity

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by spuddy026, Dec 7, 2014.

1. spuddy026 macrumors newbie

I have always had Background App Refresh toggled off. Today when looking at battery usage Facebook showed up with 1% background activity. It is the first time I have ever seen that under usage for any app.

Question is if I background toggled off how did it work in background.

2. Mrfatboy macrumors 6502

I have background refresh off as well. I noticed last week that the Voxer app is draining my battery even when the app is not in the background. Once run I believe it leaves a rogue process running. I notified the voxer dev team and they are looking into it.

The strange thing is although I believe there is a rogue process running voxer does not show up as my number one usage app. I was able to determine it was voxer by other methods..

Ios 8.1.1 is so buggy who knows where the problem really lies. Unfortunately I have to stop using voxer until they fix the problem or reboot my phone after I use it every time which is not worth it.

I know it the past the Facebook app had similar problems.

3. NoBoMac macrumors 6502a

http://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT202070

"If you turn off Background App Refresh, some background activity might still occur."

Background Refresh does not mean "no background". So, for a Facebook example, if you post a picture to Facebook, the upload process might keep running in background until photo uploaded.

And Notifications will wake an app. Change in location might wake things (ie. Suggested apps function, location based Reminders, alerts).

Refresh is "...lets apps check for new content and download updates".

Oh and: the battery usage number is total, not just background. The "Background Activity" label is a flag to alert you to there was background activity.

So, put it all together, an example from my phone: Podcast app accounted for 47% of the battery usage, with background activity, with background refresh off, due to it's a "music" app that keeps running in background when phone is locked and or using some other app on device, so one can hear audio.

4. spuddy026 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I keep background refresh ON for ALL apps and battery life is not any worse than it is with it off for me.