Background Airplay Video?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fabianjj, Dec 10, 2011.

1. fabianjj macrumors 6502

Can anyone here tell me if it's possible to use Airplay on an iPad to run some video on a tv, while simultaneously using the iPad for some other app?

2. jbro1999 macrumors regular

3. bthompson macrumors member

4. rasputinj macrumors regular

I also did it tonight worked very well as I was surfing the Internet.

5. hitekalex macrumors 68000

hitekalex

To be clear, background AirPlay video only works with 1st-party Video app. It doesn't work with any 3rd-party video streaming programs (CNN, Bloomberg, etc).

I don't know whether Apple restricts 3rd-party apps from being able to stream AirPlay video in background. I had one 3rd-party app that was able to do this in 4.x, but background streaming seems to no longer work for any 3rd-party apps in 5.x

6. fabianjj, Dec 16, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2011

fabianjj thread starter macrumors 6502

Only the Videos-app, huh? Not even the built-in Youtube-app?
    That's kind of a bummer.

EDIT:
    Just to be clear, if you start an app that supports video airplay, start playing something using Airplay, then press the home button to go out of the app, and then open the playback controls in the taskbar and push play, it will not resume the video in the background using Airplay?

7. kellemar macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's not true. I run Airvideo doing a background playback via AirPlay.

This is on 5.0.1

8. icstoo macrumors newbie

Yep I can confirm that Air Video lets you stream movies from a computer through your iPad/iPhone onto AppleTV in the background. The only drawback to this is if you use another app with sound it can play through the AppleTV too... I was watching a movie the other night with the gf, went to play angry birds and all the sound played over the movie! :eek:

IC