Background App Refresh - question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oneteam, Nov 7, 2017.

1. oneteam macrumors regular

If I turn off Background App Refresh for an app (like Instagram or FB), would I still get push notifications?

2. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Yes, push notifications are separate from background app refresh or really anything else.

3. -Leigh- macrumors regular

For FB it won't make any difference though, I had background refresh off and still get a couple of hours background activity a day for FB and Messenger.

4. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Background refresh only controls one aspect of apps being able to run in the background as basically all apps are allowed to do things in the background for a little bit after you use them, and some can do it for more if they provide VoIP services, or audio playback, or location service abilities, or something else of that nature. Typically if you don't want an app to potentially do something in the background it might be better to close it when you aren't using it.

5. oneteam thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks!
    I’m trying to reduce the background activity/battery usage. I noticed that Facebook and words with friends have a lot background activity. I turned both off, hopefully that’ll help.

6. blairian89 macrumors 6502

blairian89

No jokes! That pisses me off more than anything!