Background App Refresh - sometimes all apps are turned on

Discussion in 'iOS 10' started by johannnn, Dec 23, 2016.

1. johannnn macrumors 65816

johannnn

Sometimes all apps are enabled when I go to settings and check background app refresh. Has anyone else seen this problem? I literally turn off half of the apps, and then a day later when I check all apps are turned on.

2. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Background app refresh is useless it drains battery for nothing just refreshing a few apps which you can do in a few seconds

3. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

I'm a bit confused to what exactly background app refresh does.
    I have always had it enabled to get messages from whatsapp and new bills from my banking app, but after reading some other thread now it seems that all these apps can still send a notification to me as well as show icon badges, however they can't actually download data in the background (e.g. download the new whatsapp message/image).

Is this true? Then I'm totally fine with disabling it for everything.

4. AeroZ macrumors 6502

AeroZ

BAR is supposed to update apps' data while in the background. The frequency of that is based on your usage pattern of the corresponding app.
    For example some weather app.
    You check the weather usually at 8am in the morning. If you got BAR enabled then iOS learns that you usually check the weather at 8am and then updates the weather app's data so that when you check the weather it's already updated.

5. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Really?

6. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That's pretty much the idea behind it. Is that not known?

7. jayinla macrumors regular

If you've disabled an app from updating in the background, that setting will change back to on and updating if the app has been updated. Background refresh is useless and a battery waster for about 99% of apps but for some apps like gmail, it's essential.

8. itsmilo macrumors 68020

itsmilo

Why? i still get instant push with gmail and i have the whole setting disabled

9. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

This is how I understands it now:

iOS settings for BAR is not consistent. If you have BAR enabled, but only turned it on for some apps, you're screwed. The next time you go into Settings, it might be turned on for all apps. And if an app has been updated that previously was turned off, it can be turned on now.

But as long as you have notifications on, BAR is not really needed. You will still be notified about everything. Gmail, WhatsApp etc. The only problem is that when you open the app you have to wait to actually download the email. But I take that half second waiting over a potential battery hog.

10. AeroZ macrumors 6502

AeroZ

Never mind.

11. monnyblack1 macrumors regular

monnyblack1

Yep same here and I don't know why

12. Mlrollin91 macrumors G5

Mlrollin91

What iOS version are you running? According to the 10.2.1 beta thread, this is a bug related to 10.2.1. It might be present in earlier versions as well but it went unnoticed.

13. monnyblack1 macrumors regular

monnyblack1

I'm running 10.1.1

14. SSAJ macrumors 6502

Nope i never toggle that on cause it drains tons of battery life

15. Suckfest 9001 macrumors 65816

Suckfest 9001

WhatsApp and bills come through push notifications anyway. BAR is useless for these functions (and in general).

16. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

Yes I think this bug had been present since the first ios10 release

17. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

Yes, I noticed this behavior the other day on my iPhone 6s running iOS 10.2.2, which makes me want to check it more often.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 24, 2016 ---
    It is just my opinion, but that should not be allowed to happen.

18. johannnn thread starter macrumors 65816

johannnn

Definitely, and if I figure out exactly when it happens I will file a bug report immediately.

I have now had BAR disabled a day and I'm very happy. I still get all my notifications at the same time as previously, but I assume I get better battery now.

19. ardchoille50 macrumors 68020

If you happen to determine the cause, let me know (PM me if needed) and I'll file a bug report too - power in numbers.

20. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I personally leave BAR enabled for everything and have never had any issues with my battery - I get to the end of the day with 20-30% battery left

21. deano1972 macrumors 6502a

deano1972

TBH as long as you don't have either a software or hardware fault there isn't really that much difference having background app refresh on or off generally.
    The only difference I've observed is with background app refresh off completely and all apps closed in the app switcher my iPhone 7 drains 1 or 2% over night on standby, but with background app refresh on for all apps and apps left open in app switcher it drains about 3 or 4% over night max.. hardly the end of the world.

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

That doesn't really change what BAR is or knowing about it if one was to enable or disable it.

23. SSAJ macrumors 6502

I guess you are right

24. Sleaka J macrumors regular

Sleaka J

When Low Power Mode is enabled that turns off Background App Refresh automatically.

Charging the phone up to full turns on all the apps in Background App Refresh automatically.