Background App Refresh- Weather

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by davehutch, Oct 16, 2013.

1. davehutch macrumors 6502a

davehutch

If I have this set to On, why do I have to wait 10 seconds for it to update when I open the Today Screen?
    Any ideas?

2. Splitting macrumors newbie

I've wondered that myself. I wouldn't call it 10 secs... more like 1.5. But it's noticeable and I don't understand why it isn't there ready and waiting for me.

Maybe it's by design. Apple want us to see that it's updated and up to date.

3. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

I think it is more in line with that Apple hasn't quite polished background refresh just yet. It is after all a new feature in iOS.

4. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

because the automatic background is not on constantly, it fetches a few times, but once you go back to the app screen the software is told to refresh to the exact minute.

5. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

I think that when I saw it take 10 seconds, the previous weather was from yesterday!
    But yes, most of the time it's quicker than that. Once an hour would be fine by me I guess.
    Tried again...took about 5-6 secs.

6. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

From the experimenting I've done with that API, it looks like when you first exit an app it will refresh once every x minutes (about 15 is standard, but you can specify shorter) for about an hour or so. Once that hour hits, if you haven't opened the app since then, it stops refreshing in the background. It's some sort of priority queue. If you don't open it once an hour or so, the OS assumes you don't need to waste the cycles to keep updating in the background.

To test this I wrote a simple app that configures background refresh, and every time it refreshes it displayed a local notification and incremented the icon badge. The behavior I described above was fairly consistent. So it was pretty useless for the type of app I was going to use it for.

7. panar macrumors member

It makes sense. Thanks for the answer!

8. davehutch thread starter macrumors 6502a

davehutch

Great test, thanks for the info

9. Merkyworks macrumors 6502

Agreed, great info...thank you