Background App refresh

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by ParagJain, Nov 15, 2014.

1. ParagJain macrumors 6502

quick question ...

i've turned off background app refresh. How is that whatsapp installed on my phone is still receiving messages.

Notifications are off as well for whatsapp.

I keep hearing the notification sounds when the phone is locked.

thanks

2. Zxxv Suspended

are badge app icons on? that means its still running. or maybe your hearing something else that uses same sound?

3. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

Background app refresh has nothing to do with notifications. It just means whatsapp will pre-download incoming messages instead of loading them when you open the app.

4. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks, but is there a way to turn it off; I get far too many official messages and sadly, its eating it in my battery by a big margin

5. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Push notifications does not eat into your battery life.

6. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Everyone says that and in theory the way background app refresh works means it shouldn't eat your battery alive but that's not what I've experienced with a bunch of apps being "on" with it. As soon as I turned a bunch off my battery life skyrocketed back up. Bug? Who knows.

7. Zxxv Suspended

wordswithfreinds takes an hour off battery time. it did when I used to leave it on. Hence why I turned it off

8. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Push notifications is not the same as background app refresh. The latter one can really consume your battery if you allow every app to run in the background. I'd suggest you to only turn on background app refresh for selected apps.

9. Zxxv Suspended

I don't use background app refresh. What your writing doesn't apply.

10. ParagJain thread starter macrumors 6502

turned everything off - no background refresh, no notifications, no location servics. need to see for a day or two to really see if its app related issue or is the battery faulty.

11. EdgardasB macrumors 6502a

EdgardasB

I had also enabled push notifications and background refresh disabled for Skype. I had maybe only 100 messages a day...after deleting Skype, my battery life increased by 30% so those push notifications isn't so battery friendly.

12. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

Skype runs in the background outside of the background app refresh protocol because it's VoIP. Signing out and exiting should also save battery without you having to delete it. I really doubt the push notifications use that much battery. it's only downloading a few bytes and turning the screen on briefly (if it's not already on)

13. Abazigal macrumors 604

Abazigal

It's possible that the battery savings is due to factors like push notifications no longer causing your lock screen to light up, and not simply due to the lack of push notifications itself.

14. GreyOS macrumors 68030

GreyOS

It shouldn't eat it alive but even Apple say on the settings screen that turning it off may preserve battery life