Background App Refresh?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Benz63amg, Oct 8, 2016.

1. Benz63amg macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

What apps do you guys give permission to use Background app refresh on the Apple Watch Series 2? i personally only let HeartWatch use background app refresh on the apple watch so that the HeartWatch Complication works properly

2. BlueMoon63 macrumors 68000

Weather for sure... if there was a good sports app/complication, I would add sports. Since the more apps I add to the background refresh seems to drain my battery a little more, I have limited it to only about 5.

3. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Well the weather app on the apple watch refreshes in the background regardless of whether you have the "background app refresh" setting enabled or disabled in the "Watch" app on the iPhone so weather is always checking in the background, i guess what i ment in my original question is which Third party app you have background app refresh enabled for

4. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

I have everything enabled for everything. I do not want any constraints on my watch for the total user experience.

5. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

Do you use Heart Watch as well on the apple watch? i highly recommend it great app, it has a complication that basically shows your if your heart rate goes up or down throught the day

6. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

No. I tried Cardiogram for the first time a week or so ago. Have you compared Cardiogram to Heart Watch? Any sense if HW is better than Cardiogram? I like Cardiogram, but the HR in the complication does not seem to update frequently enough.

7. Benz63amg thread starter macrumors 68000

Benz63amg

i actually have cardiogram installed as well, heartwatch has tons more data though, it really gives you deep insights into your heart rate readings, the complication is better for heartwatch as well, because it updates rather quickly and it has an arrow next to the heart icon giving you a quick glimpse at whether your heart rate went up or down right at the complication,

I am concerned regarding battery life though, do you think having that heart watch complication enabled on the apple watch uses more battery life?

8. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Cool, thanks a ton. I am in. Downloading now...

Probably having some of those dynamic apps and complications up can consume battery. But it may not be a big difference. The AW is already a massive battery consumer, just being turned on. With just the raw use, the AW burns its battery like 10x faster than other smart-ish fitness watches on the market with similarly sized batteries. So, the watch OS alone with the advanced CPU are heavy power consumers. Since those are so big, all the other stuff may not make as much of a significant dent.